Sign in to follow this  
proton32176

Hikvision NVR Problem

I have a Hikvision 16 POE NVR I bought seven years ago that is attached to 11 Hikvision 4P EXIR Dome Cameras.

I bought the unit from Nellies so they rebranded it so I don't know the model number. It is in our condo and we work out of town so we use it to keep an eye on things when we are away.

Here is my problem:

It has been working fine for years until this week.

When I tried to log into the system it would not come up with the app. I also couldn't even get the Log in page to come up in a Web Browser.

When I got home tonight I looked at the system through my TV which is connected to the NVR's HDMI  output. All the menus come up but there is no Live View from any of the cameras. I checked the Camera Menu and according to it all the cameras are online and working with no errors for any of the cameras.

The problem is there is no Live View or Playback of past events possible with the unit with any camera. Also, on every POE input on the back of the NVR, every input with a camera attached has the amber light flashing.

No settings were changed and nothing was messed with prior to it doing this. It just messed up all on its own.

I even tried a Factory reset on the unit but it made no difference. All the amber lights on the POE inputs with cameras attached were still flashing and still no video from any of the cameras.

My question is does this sound like a configuration issue or does it sound more like a dead NVR?

If it sounds like I need to replace the NVR I need some advice.

I looked on Ebay and I can buy a new Hikvision 4k 16 POE NVR for around $300.00.

But there is also another guy selling a refurbished one exactly like mine for $600.00.

My question is would a new 4k unit work as well as the older one did and be compatible with my older cameras or would I be better off paying twice as much for an old one identical to the one I already have?

I can't figure out why this guy is trying to sell a 7 year old unit for twice the price of a new one unless he either thinks he can get it or he knows a newer NVR wouldn't work with older cameras.

And I don't know enough about this equipment to know if there is a reason to spend twice as much for what I already have or if a new one would work just fine.

I would really appreciate some advice with this. I know how to set a NVR up but I have no idea about compatibility  issues between older cameras hooked to newer NVR's.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by proton32176
added information