Sign in to follow this  
Oostin

continuous recording camera system

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am a noob to home security but I am experienced in networking and computer hardware. 

There's someone throwing trash into my yard as they drive by my house. I have a good idea who it is but need proof. It's at all different times, usually after dark.

Preferably I'd like a self contained camera/capture device that can continuously record for 12 hours with decent night vision. 720p or even 480p should be enough for what I need. It will be close enough to my wifi I could setup a server if needed.

I've thought about using a trail cam but, at least the one I own, won't react quick enough to catch a car going 35 mph.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

@Oostin Hopefully this information is still of some use to you. There are lots of self contained IP cameras that record to an SD card, these are relatively self contained and do not require an additional recording device. I would recommend you check out the Reolink RLC-410 for example, this supports both motion detection and continuous recording onto an SD card. It can be set up to be entirely self contained, or you can connect it to your home network via an Ethernet cable for remote viewing. In terms of powering the camera, you can plug a standard 12v power supply into the camera if there is a power source nearby, otherwise you should look into using PoE (Power over Ethernet) which can be done either with a PoE switch or an external PoE adapter.

Let me know if you need more help with this!

Thanks for the reply!

I've ordered a TP-Link - Kasa Spot. It's an indoor camera that I'm going to trying pointing out of a window or placing on a covered porch on warmer nights. It takes an SD card, has continuous recording, and the price couldn't be beat.

I will definitely look into the RLC-410 if the Spot doesn't work out.

Thanks again.