Sign in to follow this  
elevatedthinking

Assistance with new residential build

Hello all,

I am looking to install a new CCTV system for a home residence. It will be a basic setup with approximately 4 cameras covering the house from different angles. They will be on the side facing the driveway, cvering the front door, the back door and perhaps one more angle. I don't have a specific budget, but maybe in the 500 range for a full setup? Or less if I use an existing computer as an NVR?

Years back, at a different residence, I setup Hikvision domes - DS-2CD2122F, using an i5 computer based NVR. It worked great, and I even have a done left over despite hearing not so great things about Dahua as of late. 

Since then, I am sure technology has changed in the CCTV world as fast, if not faster than everywhere else. 

For my sort of purpose, what cam options are recommended? Would it be recommended to use a prepackaged NVR system, or create my own using a computer. Is Blue Iris still the software of choice for this?

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit rusty with this. 

Really depends what you're looking for and how much technological knowledge you have, by the sounds of it you could get away with buying a kit, I much prefer having an NVR/DVR separate from any computers or anything in the house both for security reasons and the fact that it's nice not having to worry about leaving a machine running the whole time or having my computer clogged up with extra stuff. I'd personally go for an NVR if given the choice, you can tuck it away somewhere and it's pretty much set and forget. In terms of brand, I like the newer Dahua cameras because they work with modern browsers, I've had bad experiences with outdated Hikvision cameras that can't be used because they require some nasty work-arounds with outdated browsers, however I think you'd be safe with either as long as you buy a modern system and read the small print. Also consider looking at some other brands like Reolink, they have some pretty good reviews.