Sign in to follow this  
brbrice

Power saving mode for Monitor/LCD

Hi,

I was planning to setup a CCTV system for my house and wanted to know if something was possible. Basically, I want to hook up a dedicated monitor/lcd so that I can watch live video from the cameras but the key thing I want is for the display to enter power saving mode when there is no motion (for 5/10/15 mins or so). When motion is detected, I would like the monitor to automatically exit power saving mode and to see the live video. Sort of like desktop computers entering and exit screensaver/standby when idle and resuming when keyboard/mouse moved.

Is this possible on a standalone unit? on a PC based (ie. Geovision) system? Does this sound like a good idea to be implemented (to save energy and preserve lcd life)?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

not really. leave it on................LCD's are pretty good, life wise, and besides, after 3 years you'll want to purchase a newer, bigger, better, wammy jammy monitor.

The only way to "wake up" the monitor would be to have a I/O card that connects into the motherboard and "wakes up" when motion is detected.

ie. Video Insight has a I/O card that integrates with the Video Card/software. It is possible to set a output from the motion dectection to trigger a output on the I/o card that is connected to the motherboard "wake up" pin. Each motion triggered will/should wake up the monitor.........BUT, the amount of time for the monitor to become powered up & viewable may take longer than the actual motion sensed?