cstout

Hikvision/Dahua weather connector

Hi All,

Long time, no talk. I hope you're all doing well.

I just had my first big winter storm of the year (CA, we're on the slow track, haha) and I was surprised to find one of my Dahua cameras was offline the day after. I just took it down only to find the weatherproof plug was full of water and the contacts all blackened. This isn't my first time running into weather related issues with POE cameras, but it is my first time having an issue with the weatherproof plug.

Is there a "proper" way to orient these plugs? I've never had water enter one before. It was positioned with the rubber wire ring side up (which may have been the mistake) but shouldn't it seal around the cable and plug? I inspected the twist plug cover and everything was on nice and tight and there was no obvious sign of where the water came in through.

Anyone have some recommendations or advice for the re-install? Thanks so much!

I did come across this page: https://defendityourself.com/blogs/news/how-to-install-rj45-waterproof-connector

I've since cut the crispy end off and added a new keystone jack. This will be housed in a weatherproof 1 gang box now, but still, I'm curious to hear what you'd recommend for a non-piped outdoor install. It's not very common that I have the camera's own pigtail exposed to any elements, but this mishap was from a temporary test install that ended up becoming permanent.

Alright, last post for the day. In reflecting on the install, I really feel what messed me up was cable stapling the weatherproof connector rubber-side up. Had it been the other way, there would have been a greatly reduced possibly of any water ingress.

Anyway, my lil sparky ipcam survived and will be mounted on a PFA139 that I'll be sure to seal nicely and run the cable in through the bottom instead of the top.