buzzdoo

Studiuous newbie seeks experienced counsel

I am new to CCTV. Trying to design a system to monitor (Mostly REMOTELY via WEB) the activity in a auto repair garage I own. There will be five cameras inside and three outside. The objective is to be able to remotely see if everyone is diligently at work; to record any problems that might take place after hours (inside and out); and to have a record of activity should equipment/tools come up missing. I am located in central ALABAMA so weather is average - with regular rain - and winter temps around 25 and summer around 100.

The big challenges I am facing is

1. DVR or PC based and who's product to use. I simply can't figure out who makes vs who repackages vs who resells.

2. Camera manufacturer and specs of lenses

3. Why are some cameras 12 v and others 24 v.

4. I want to use a centralized power source - any reason NOT to use siamese cable?

As info;

1. Cabling and equipment locations no problem...easy to access.

Inside: 1. lobby is 18x18x12high

2. office is 12 x 12 x 8 high

3. roomA is 8w x 16 d x 7,5' high

4. roomB is 12w x 20 deep x 8 high and needs a "hidden" camera

5. garage area is 35 w x 90 deep x 16 high - this may need two cameras (from opposite ends) and so I'll eliminate one of the other cameras

6,7,?8. outside - the 25' tall building sits in the middle of the length of the rectanfular lot, but is pushed up against one long side of the rectangle. the parking lot stretches in front of the building for 50 feet and AROUND one end. So in front of the building I need to cover 120 long x 50 deep - there is plenty of light from exterior lighting - I may need to put a camera at each end of the 100' long building and shoot them crossing each other toward the opposite end of building/lot. Then I'll need a camera on the end wall of the building covering about 50 x 50.

So, I started looking at a honeywell DVD, then moved toward a Geovision PC card, then back toward DVDs for stability, then back toward PC's for easy upgrade to avoid obsolescence, then back to DVD for affordability, then I asked myself how the heck all you guys keep this straight in your heads.....FAR MORE ART THAN SCIENCE!

Anyway, I a trying to bring this project in for $2500....but expect I'll end up around $3000. Also, if this succeeds I'll be somewhat replicating it at another location.

My goals are quality of image, great remote access, affordability, simplicity. I do NOT need too many features....don't plan PTZ, etc.

Alrighty - let the barrage begin!!!!