Sign in to follow this  
GGman

Powering (non Poe) Ip camera via Ethernet cable.

Hello to all,

I am trying to power an IP Camera (Tapo c310) via an ethernet cable that runs through my walls. (used 2 pairs, one for positive and one for negative,  unfortunately other pairs are cut and cannot be used) and two DC adapters ( female / male), one for connecting the cameras power adapter and one on the camera end to receive the power where the camera is installed.

The camera powers up OK, and it works but at night when the IR is enabled, it draws more power and the camera shuts down and restarts.

The power adapter included in the box is 9v - 0,6A.

A friend told me to find another adapter that is 9v but 1A because I have loss because of the length of the ethernet cable.

Do you think this will work and if it does will the extra Amps affect the camera !??

Thank you all in advance..

Screenshot_20220109-210905_Gallery.jpg

Z.jpg

Extra amps will only be consumed as needed. The device only draws the amount of current (amps) it needs to operate. Not more. You can use a 100Amp power supply, and the camera will only consume the ~1.0a it needs to operate.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:51 AM, Jasonlou said:

perhaps you can use the 12V adapter due to the voltage drop on the cable.

before powering the camera, i'd check the far side with a multimeter and see what voltage is available.