tskeldon

Help!: Accedentally did a 'factory reset, now the cameras won't link

Hello all!

IThis is my first ever post. So I offer my appologies if I am posting to the wrong place, but I am new to CCTV stuff in general and this sight in particular. Hopefully a moderator will step in to correct my error if that is the case and repost it in the appropriate place to win greater forum sympathy, in which case I apologize to them now for causing them extra work. Sorry!

I have what I believe to be a Wikvision NVR (case and internal board), running what is visibly Netvision software, but in Canada, the Wikvision vendors claim they've never heard of Netvision even though a simple internet search proves that they are partners in enterprise. The problem is that each is referring me to the other, claiming they are not...affiliated with my equipment.

I think that the North American suppliers don't want to be troubled by equipment brought or bought elsewhere, and that is my situation. The Chinese family that owned, but only sometimes resided in the house before me, bought and brought much of the house's...infrastructructure with them, either when they moved, or acquired remotely online working with vendors in China.

When they sold us the house, they failed to leave the admin password (probably for having forgotten it), and left instead only the code pattern they had used access the system. Well I thought that after 3 years, and having some time on my hands, I would finally familiarize myself with the unit and reset the password, but found that I could not do so without the 'actual' password.

Thinking myself very clever (but having insuffiient experience of these things to warrant it) I went to the defaults section to implement a 'simple' reset and quite by accident of my stiff hand, won of a life hard lived, clicked 'factory' reset rather than just the 'simple' reset.

As a result, the device no longer recognizes the 8 cameras it has been intiate with as long as the system had been up and running, which I estimate to be about 5 or 6 years. There is a yellow excalmation mark next to each camera listed on the camera management page. When you click it, it says, "The user name or the password is wrong."

I have no idea what the 'camera' password was, though the suggestion is that they are usually the same as the admin password, and indeed, when I reset to factory default, I accepted the 'Wizards' offer to propogate the camera password fields with the new password too.

I suspect that somehow I need to overwrite the camera's expectation of a password that I am no longer in a position to provide. I've only just discovered that, had I known, there is an IP channel password visible box that I could have ticked to win the knowledge I now need. The question is, having dug myself this hole, how do I get out?

Thanks in advance for your well considered deliberation of this problem. Oh...and before some well intentioned individual kindly jumps in early, having lost interest in sufferning the length of my post, I DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THE ADMIN PASSWORD, thats not the problem (I think), the problem is these cheeky cameras that don't recongnize my imagined authority.