pbogi

Need help understanding DVR archiving & backup methods

Hello,

I've been searching for a solution for a potential customer who needs to record 24/7 and would like to be able to archive ALL of the recorded video.

So far, most of the DVRs that I've looked at will record in triplex mode and have at least one internal drive, but only allow for archiving or burning to disk (either CD or DVD) based upon either a triggered event or by manual request. I take that to mean that ONLY the event gets burned to disk. That's not what the customer is looking to do. Does anyone here have any pointers? Am I correct in my understanding of how most DVRs use their archiving or backup features? I realize that we're probably talking about a PC based DVR system with multiple drives instead of a standalone DVR, but that may put the cost beyond the customer's budget. They don't want to spend $15k to $20k just for a DVR system. Any suggestions?

By the way, the system will have approximately 40 cameras.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you are discribing motion based recording? Most systems have a record aways option and then a triplex DVR should be able to just burn/move the files at the users command.

I would get a clarification as to what "All" recorded video means because even if you are only recording on activity the hard drive(s) are going to reach capacity in days or weeks depending on your quality and IPS settings. You have to off load that archive video somewhere and I often have to explain to the user how many 700MB CDs it takes equal 600GB of hard drive recorded video. Other than true incidents that our sites archive to CD, DVD, USB, or sometimes a networked desktop I think external hard drive arrays are the only way to go if they truely need all video (event or otherwise) archived for long periods of time. Since we are a goverment institution with statewide sites we have looked at archiving this to our central servers as a possible option. The problem with RAID storage as I see it is simply cost. You can buy a DVR with 600GB for around $3400.00 and then adding a 2.4TB RAID will cost you 3 times that amount. One other thing we are looking at is using external USB hard drives for archive but I am not sure how fast they can tranfer video. It's a big transition from cheap tapes to high capacity hard drives. BTW we only use embedded DVRs at this time.