Bugs

Push me up the learning curve

Hi Folks, My first post here.

I'm looking for a surveillance system to compliment a new wired alarm system (based on a Vista 21iPLTE) I'm installing at my house. I'm in the camp that thinks that the best intrusion deterrent is a proper surveillance camera display. At least, I'm hoping it's better than just posting an "ADT" sign out front.

I've done some surfing around the forum (and other resources) and have been learning a lot, but I'm sure I still have a long way to go. I see that there are some equipment suppliers that are not well regarded for various reasons (Hikvision comes to mind). I'd like suggestions for what vendors are generally held in high regard for system components like NVR, cameras, networking, cabling and so forth. I'm looking at a wired installation except for a few locations where wireless cameras are the only practical option. The wireless units can be wide-angle and battery powered. I've also got a specific narrow-angle location where I'd like to place two quality high-def "Identification" cameras capable of facial and license plate recognition.

My budget is pretty open. Just hoping you might start me down the right path and help me not waste too much time researching low-quality or otherwise dicey stuff like equipment with security concerns. I'm sure there are valuable threads here that I haven't stumbled across yet. I'd appreciate a point out toward those or any other resources you deem valuable.  Thx!

Just to provide some initial direction, anyone have input on Hanwha-Techwin products? Their equipment seems pretty solid.