rpogge

WDR camera for dark room with bright light sources.

What would be a good camera for a room that is completly dark, except for bright sunlight entering through a window. We have honeywell d/n domes in there now, and they are not even close to cutting it. I know I need WDR, but I need a WDR cam that will work well in low light. I was lookign at the GE DI series XP2, but read in another thread that they perform pooly in low light. I need a recomendation. something in the sub $500 range please.

Thanks

Ryan

Cant promise anything as i havent tested either of these, but they come recommended .. Nuvico - I believe they have a True Day Night WDR Dome . .. might just be an indoor dome .. but thats your app anyway .. then there is Panasonic ... Nuvico is less expensive as it is OEM.

there are many more these days that have WDR in their domes .. best to look for one that is True Day Night with a Mech IR Cut Filter .. then check the specs for the BW Mode Lux level.

Then you could add IR if you needed more light.

Also, you would get away from WDR if they were pointed inside and not at the windows.

Thanks,

Yeah pointing the camera from above the window would be optimal, however for this particular room pointing it at the window is unavoidable.

I am going to give the Nuvico's a try. Does the lense mm (2.6~6mm, 3.8~9.5mm) I choose have much affect on the picture quality as far as those lighting conditions are concerned?

Ryan

the wider the lens, the more light is let in on the chip therefore it can appear to see more in low light as that light is spread out across the image, so when you zoom it in further it will not be as sensitive, however quality gets higher as you zoom it in, but then you dont see as much due to the Field Of View, and again the quality will depend on the camera.

another thing that is not mentioned very much about wdr cameras are what is its acutal dynamic range ? Is the wdr of one wdr camera the same as another wdr camera?

of course not.

Some of the cheaper wdr cameras have 32x pixel based dynamic range

Some of the mid range wdr cameras have 64x pbdr

And cameras along the leaders like the SDIII has 128x pbdr

So dont choose a camera just because it says wdr.

by the way panasonic is now releasing their SDIIII line!

oh ya. Got get a hold of that one.

I ordered a nuvico, a kalatel, and a bosch. all in the $300-400 range, will let you know which ones works best. Probably pick up a pano too for comparison. Pano wpuld be a hard sell for its price in this app i think though.

Yeah I plan on getting some comparison screenshots up, Ill post for you all to see, I want to get some good comparison screens to show customers.

GE, and NUVICO both backordered for 2 weeks.

Got a KT&C KPC-WDR470 comming in the meantime.

looks like junk, stats are good though. anyone messed with them ?

Yeah I plan on getting some comparison screenshots up, Ill post for you all to see, I want to get some good comparison screens to show customers.

GE, and NUVICO both backordered for 2 weeks.

Got a KT&C KPC-WDR470 comming in the meantime.

looks like junk, stats are good though. anyone messed with them ?

Any news on those screenshots?

I am in the same situation as I have a pool with a major glare issue. Have any screen shots yet?

Thanks

here is another example of a wdr camera. this is a good one because it is several back to back areas of contrast

goodexample.jpg

Also, you would get away from WDR if they were pointed inside and not at the windows.

just a note. WDR cameras are not only good at just pointing towards windows. But any camera shot where there is a significant amount of contrast difference. Just regular outdoor cameras could benefit alot from wdr technology. Or when the lighting is from behind someone. We all have seen how that can ruin a camera shot.

Only WDR cam i have tested so far is the KT&C, NUVICO is still backordered, and the BOSH wasnt WDR , they lied to me

The KTC works pretty well, the colors look wierd, but it eliminates alot of glare/shadow.

WDR didn't work well in the dark room in question, however here is it beside a normal day/night honeywell dome in our shop.

The one on the left is the KT&C WDR dome , the one on the right is the honeywell day/night dome.

50973_1.jpg

Well I got the KT&C WDR PTZ in on Saturday and installed it.

Here is a comparison. Please note the following.

The Top camera is on the West side facing East, the bottom is East Side facing West.

Also the Top camera is a nuvico. What this does show is the HUGE difference in glare. You cannot even see the shape of the pool, never the less, the water. Plus also note that it is noon time...so the sun is directly above, so there should be no difference in east to west glare.

The WDR can see the water color etc. The reason it is not totally on the pool is that it seems my DM Sprite 2 cannot do Pelco - D protocol which is what that camera is. Another story for another post.....

But anyway, HUGE difference.

50412_1.jpg

Yep, the KT&C isnt too bad for the price. I think i paid 280 or so.

What about that dome housing though ? it looks like a missle siloh. Its HUGE and HEAVY. I had to mount a piece of plywood behind the ceiling tile to support it!

anyway Im still waiting on the nuvico WDR, I hear it is the bomb for the price, lookign forward to trying it.

... very happy with the KT&C though, Only complaint is that the buttons for the OSD are a PITA to use, althouh I did see they made a little remote you can plug in to program it ..

_Ryan

Need to check the AI level on that Nuvico .. If you can turn that down, the image should improve greatly .. but also you will need a color monitor to adjust that... also turn off Flicker mode as that makes it brighter . and though I doubt it has it .. if it has SAGC turn that off (From SAGC to AGC).

Well I got the KT&C WDR PTZ in on Saturday and installed it.

Here is a comparison. Please note the following.

The Top camera is on the West side facing East, the bottom is East Side facing West.

Also the Top camera is a nuvico. What this does show is the HUGE difference in glare. You cannot even see the shape of the pool, never the less, the water. Plus also note that it is noon time...so the sun is directly above, so there should be no difference in east to west glare.

The WDR can see the water color etc. The reason it is not totally on the pool is that it seems my DM Sprite 2 cannot do Pelco - D protocol which is what that camera is. Another story for another post.....

But anyway, HUGE difference.

50412_1.jpg

Yeah but what im saying is thats not normal .. the Nuvico image .. its either a setting issue or a bad camera .. even the cheaper ones dont have that much glare .. looks like the Iris is open too much.

Which model is it again?

Rory

I was creating a comparison of wdr for a presentation and thought you guys might want to see it.

ns202SDIIIoff.jpg

ns202SDIIon.jpg

that is not a actual cameras view angle on a system. Just pointed it there for comparison as it was a good example of contrast with a perfect line of dark and bright.

now i got to run because I am going to be late for this presentation!!!!

camera1 cant have to many issues because camera 2 is camera 1 just with the SDIII turned off.

thats how bright that lighter area of contrast is.

doesnt look normal. suggest adjusting the AI level .. we have tons of sunlight here and never see a camera look like that unless the AI level was not adjusted or it had SAGC turned on.

Its not that your sun is more intense its the fact that its looking right almost directly down at a area of contrast. One is bright and one is dark. So you can usually have one of two ways.

1: The bright side is viewable while the dark is extremely dark.

2: The dark side is viewable but the light side is bleached.

its a ptz by the way