karnos

What should I choose Pelco DX8100 or Panasonic WJ-HD316A

Hi guys

I have a small problem. I want to buy a good DVR (16 cameras output) and I have about $4000 for it, I just want something really good. Researching the market I found 2 good DVRs: Panasonic WJ-HD316A and Pelco DX8100. I don't have any experience with them at all. I know that Pelco DX8100 is based on Windows 2000, and Panasonic is a regular DVR (but I heard really good things about Pelco products even though that is based on Windows 2000). Have you ever had any of them, and if yes what do you think about them.

Tx For help

Well they are both good with the pano being the better but you'd better be a wiz with directions to take on the panasonic as it is know to be anything but user friendly. Pelco to me is very overpriced and because its a PC based system get ready for PC problems. I'd check out embeded systems like the GE Dvmre or Prosafe and the Tiger by Sanyo. Or, just do a night or two of searchs on this forum under "DVR's" and you will learn a lot.

I own a WJ-HD 316. Compared to other units I have owned, it is like a Mac Truck. One of the important things for me is, we push the buttons a lot and they have yet to fail. After 8 -12 months, other units we used began to act up. Example, you could push cam 6 and cam 7 would appear or you would have to push the button several times before it would respond. I think the quality of the hardware used to build the Panasonic is better than most. I have had this unit for a little over 2 years and my Panasonic keeps on going.

As for the instructions, I understand what was said above. Yet, once I understood the basics it was easy. I must add that I feel like I’m a fairly knowledgeable end user.

Another one i just demoed was the Nuvico .. Network software is impressive .. might want to check the reviews on those Embedded DVRs also .. half the cost of the others mentioned .. but yeah the GE is a work horse ..

I have extensive experience with both of these.

The pelco dx8100. I would have to say great for a local LAN set up. Great in all theory and practicality. Horrible in application. They seemed to be good for about 6 months and then they are the sole reason we had to create an addendum and up our monthly service maintenance with the air base.

Panasonic is a great unit. Loads of options. You can keep it simple with the thing. Or you can get real deep into all the different possibilities. I would suggest you go to Panasonics web site and go through the interactive training session via the web. And also go to pelco's web site and look at that their web training on the dx8100.

One other thing about the Panasonic is that it is an embedded dvr that is extremely similar to the options of the pc based dvr's but still being embedded. Oh ya and the proprietary compression.