shane94

Cannot view CCTV from the web.

Ok i am a total noob to this and have never hooked up a cctv system I have installed in my local PC a GeoVision 600 and 4 cameras. I loaded all the software that came on the disk. The cameras them selfs work great but I am having a heck of a time setting them up for remote viewing. Heres the equipment we are running:

I have a total of 3 pcs at this office.

Geovision 600 Card

DSL Modem is a Zoom ADSL X5 (is a built in router with 4 ports)

Linksys wrt54g (you guys seen not to like this one hehe)

I have the #1 port on the ADSL X5 going to the "in" on the WRT54G, internet works fine.

I assigned the pc with the dvr card in it a local static ip (192.168.1.11)

I then unblocked the port 3550 and ten turned off windows firewall

Next I went into the WRT54G and unchecked "Block Anonymous Internet Requests"

After that I went into the "Applications & Gaming" settings on the WRT54G and did the following:

80 to 80 TCP 192.168.1.11

3550 to 3550 Both 192.168.1.11

5066 to 5066 Both 192.168.1.11

6886 to 6886 Both 192.168.1.11

9650 to 9650 Both 192.168.1.11

5610 to 5610 Both 192.168.1.11

And when i try to view 192.168.1.11 locally i get a dns not found page.

When i try to view the ip from another network i get a dns not found page as well.

I think it may be in the actual ADSL X5 modem. Their is a ton of config options in that thing if i go to 10.0.0.2

I have been working on this for 8 hours lol and still no better off then when i began. If anyone has any ideals I would be greatfull =)

Thanks!

Shane

You need to port forward the Modem from your ISP to your router, then your router will allow you to carry onto the necessary DVR.

I'm not familiar with that modem but it probably has a firewall setting and you need to allow port 80 to point to the mac address of the router. This should be pretty simple to do. This is assuming that port 80 is what you want for the DVR. Then just make sure that port 80 on the WRT54G is port forwarded to the DVR.

You need to port forward the Modem from your ISP to your router, then your router will allow you to carry onto the necessary DVR.

I'm not familiar with that modem but it probably has a firewall setting and you need to allow port 80 to point to the mac address of the router. This should be pretty simple to do. This is assuming that port 80 is what you want for the DVR. Then just make sure that port 80 on the WRT54G is port forwarded to the DVR.

ok i messed with the bloody modem for 2 hours today already lol. Once it hits the router it is configured to go from 80 to the DVR. Oh what fun. Thanks for the advise! Will play with it a bit more!

Shane

Basically what you need to do is Port forward the DSL router to the Linksys Router (all Geo ports), then port forward the Linksys Router to the DVR (all Geo ports) ..

Forget the DSL router for the moment though.

Unplug that and just use the local network.

Block Anonymous Internet Requests can remain checked BTW.

All you need to do is Forward the Ports in Applications and Gaming.

Also, the servers in Geo have to be running to connect to them (just in case you missed that part)

Is there any other software installed on the DVR besides Geo?

Eg. Nortons?

You should be able to plug in another PC to the Linksys router and do a telnet (command prompt) to the DVR's IP and Geo Ports, and it should connect (clear screen).

Ping it if you just want to see if the network is setup right.

BTW, for webcam (browser), port forward 80 (unless you changed it), 4550, 5550, and 6550. 3550 is only needed it you will use the Multiviewer (TCP Server). None of the other ports are required for Live Webcam.

Rory

Basically what you need to do is Port forward the DSL router to the Linksys Router (all Geo ports), then port forward the Linksys Router to the DVR (all Geo ports) ..

Forget the DSL router for the moment though.

Unplug that and just use the local network.

Block Anonymous Internet Requests can remain checked BTW.

All you need to do is Forward the Ports in Applications and Gaming.

Also, the servers in Geo have to be running to connect to them (just in case you missed that part)

Is there any other software installed on the DVR besides Geo?

Eg. Nortons?

You should be able to plug in another PC to the Linksys router and do a telnet (command prompt) to the DVR's IP and Geo Ports, and it should connect (clear screen).

Ping it if you just want to see if the network is setup right.

BTW, for webcam (browser), port forward 80 (unless you changed it), 4550, 5550, and 6550. 3550 is only needed it you will use the Multiviewer (TCP Server). None of the other ports are required for Live Webcam.

Rory

thank you for the reply!

The computer the dvr is installed on is a fresh install of Windows XP with SP 2. I have AVG running with withdows firewall off.

I can get on any pc that is connected to the network and run:

telnet 192.168.1.11 3550. When i do i get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

I can also ping 192.168.1.11 from any pc on the network.

Gonna drive back to my office now hehe you guys dine gave me ideals

Will let you know

Shane

Closer! Rory i unblocked 4550,5550,6550 and i can now view the cameras on the network machines. Once leap foward! lol I still can't view it from a non local machine. I am muching the guys next door wireless and i cannot see it hehe. So i would say at this point its a firewall issue so i gotta dig a bit more

Shane

ok now you can see it locally ...

You need to get into the DSL router, and do the same port forwarding in that as you did in the Linksys Router .. but this time .. forward everything to the Linksys Router's IP .. 192.168.1.1 (?)

ok now you can see it locally ...

You need to get into the DSL router, and do the same port forwarding in that as you did in the Linksys Router .. but this time .. forward everything to the Linksys Router's IP .. 192.168.1.1 (?)

when i put my ip in the browser of a non local PC now i see the dsl router setup. I think?? i need to ender the information under "nat rules" heres what i got:

Rule Flavor : RDR

Rule ID: (will put next nuber in serires)

If Name: all

protocol: any

Local Address From: NOT SURE

Local Address To: NOT SURE

Global Addres From: 0.0.0.0

Global Address to: 0.0.0.0

Destination Port From: NOT SURE

Destination Port To: NOT SURE

Local Port: NOT SURE

Here is what i found via google for someone else doing this:

1. Launch the web console.

2. Click on Advanced Setup

3. Click on NAT

4. Set NAT options to NAT RULE entry

5. Click on ADD

6. Set the rule flavor to RDR

7. Set Rule ID to next available # (example if you have 4 ID's open then 5 would be next)

8. IF name: set to ALL

9. Protocol is the type of port (example TCP, UDP)

10. Type in the local address of the computer your accessing or range of computers you want that port open on. To and from should be the same address if assigning this to a single IP.

11. Leave both Global Address to and from set to all zeros.

12. Destination Port From: this is the port you need opened.

Destination Port To: this is the port you need opened.

Local Port: this is the port you need opened.

13. then click on Save changes

14. Write settings to flash.

Closer....yes their no hehe

thanks!

here is the port forwarding guide for that Zoom DSL router ..

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Zoom/5554ADSL/default.htm

I havent had a chance to look through it yet ..

but quick glance you want to set up a Virtual Server, not NAT ..

they use Virtual Server for port forwarding in other routers also. Linksys just has a different name .. Applications & Games ..

here is the port forwarding guide for that Zoom DSL router ..

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Zoom/5554ADSL/default.htm

I havent had a chance to look through it yet ..

but quick glance you want to set up a Virtual Server, not NAT ..

they use Virtual Server for port forwarding in other routers also. Linksys just has a different name .. Applications & Games ..

that strange my menu does not have that option. you can see mine here:

http://www.drunkenmule.com/menu.jpg

I think that this the "v" version what ever the hell that was hehe

Thanks

Shane

See example below using a range .. the TCP port as well as the webcam ports .. you can do each one individually though if you have the time, and each port would go in the "Local Port" box .. each would need its own entry.

I dont know whats in those drop downs so you will have to look at that, though the web site didnt mention changing those except the Protocol one.

ZOOMEG.gif

make sure the local address is the Linksys Router's IP and not the DVR's IP.

I think you have the DVR's IP there as the local address?

Its gotta go through the DSL router, to the Linksys Router, then finally to the DVR.

See example below using a range .. the TCP port as well as the webcam ports .. you can do each one individually though if you have the time, and each port would go in the "Local Port" box .. each would need its own entry.

I dont know whats in those drop downs so you will have to look at that, though the web site didnt mention changing those except the Protocol one.

ZOOMEG.gif

have it just like this but the last box where it has "local port" with discard 9 selected it will not let you put anything in that box when you choose that. so it was left blank.

I still see the dsl router when i go to the ip

Thanks

Shane

whats the other options in that drop down ..?

ps. I deleted your IP from the post as im sure you dont want that out on the web .. Do you want to PM me the login details and I try it from here?

Rory

whats the other options in that drop down ..?

Rule Flavor: Basic,Filter,NAPT,Bimap,RDR,Pass

from/to/local ports: ECHO (7), DISCARD (9), CHARGEN (19), FTP (21), TELNET (23), SMTP (25), DNS (53), BOOTP (67), TFTP (69), HTTP (80),

POP3 (110), SNMP (161)

When i first started their was about 6 other rules that i deleted that were pre configured in that NAT section :/ maybe that was a bad ideal. I can look at my house dsl router (its the same) and put them back if needed.

Regards;

Shane

Got me .. everything after Chargen are those set ports ... maybe try Echo and see if it lets you enter anything .. or try another non normal port one until it lets you enter a port .. also make sure you have the latest firmware ..

Rory

Echo Info

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/7/default.htm

Discard (9)

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/9/default.htm

Chargen

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/groups/Simple_Services/default.htm

so yeah im still lost there .. they say you should be able to enter text in there . but then reading the above links .. I cant see why they dont have a Virtual Server section at least ..

Echo Info

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/7/default.htm

Discard (9)

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/9/default.htm

Chargen

http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/groups/Simple_Services/default.htm

so yeah im still lost there .. they say you should be able to enter text in there . but then reading the above links .. I cant see why they dont have a Virtual Server section at least ..

ok thanks rory! Wife just called can i move in with you hehe. its 3am and i guess i better give it up for the night hehe. Will make sure i got the newest firmware tomorrow and we'll see what happens. All else fails I will change dsl modems. Will get one with wireless built into it.

thanks again for the kind help

Shane

ok pulled the linksys out the picture and today finally got it working with just the adsl modem. So will save the settings then try to hook up the linksys tomorrow so i can have my wireless back lol. Well a bit closer anyways. I dont think it should take 18+ hours to configure this haha. I so hate the Zoom X5!

ok got it with the linksys in teh picture. The geovision has a "automatic" setup for the router that i didn't see. So i click it and it shows the ip for the linksys as 10.0.0.6 instead of 192.168.1.1 why i dont know. So i went back into the dsl modem and set all the nat settings to 10.0.0.6 where we had the 192.168.1.1 and it works. *srugs* but it works thats all that i care Thanks again for the help

Shane