Chisel

'Interface' between camera and computer.

How does one get the video from a high resolution, low lux (analogue) camera, saved to a PC?

I know there must be a simple answer to this but believe me, I can't find it. I'm hearing about servers, PC boards, that it's better to use digital cameras, that network cameras would be better etc. etc.

But this application is simply that the one camera will be indoors, running at daylight hours with whatever light is available under the conditions.

The camera will be running continuously and recording to an external hard drive at whatever rate is just enough to convey normal motion.

Just one camera.

What do I have to add to the PC to make the video recording?

I know there must be dedicated software involved and some sort of hardware to be installed. But what would be considered standard in the industry and are you allowed to be specific in terms of brand names and model numbers on this forum?

If so, I would be grateful for suggestions.

Kind Regards to all.

PS:- When I first started in alarms as a career change, I thought there could not be anything more confusing....I have to review that.

Chisel,

I am not sure what you define as high resolution, but if we are talking typical PAL/NTSC resolution then you may be fine if you find a 1 channel USB capture device and work with software video compression. An alternative could also be to buy a 4 channel stand-alone DVR and just use one of the channels. If you already have an old PC (for one channel you do not need anything fancy) then a USB device is most likely the most cost-effective solution for you.

The added benefit is that with a USB capture device, most softwares (normally included with the device) will include recording of sound through the sound card of the PC and then you have an easy way of turning your VHS and other analog recordings of weddings, vacations, and family parties digital as well

We, Comart System, are not the only manufacturer who offer 1 and 4 channel USB capture devices, so if you contact you regular wholesaler of CCTV equipment they should be able to tell you which of the USB capture devices are available through them.

Tom,

Thanks ole scout and I'm sorry I took so long to follow up.

I'm spinning around like a top and couldn't even find where I posted this info request.

The 'High Resolution' buzz words are the manufacturer's language not my own. The camera is ruputed to be producing some hefty numbers in this regard.

Your notes make much sense and I will follow your suggestions.

I must admit I have not heard of your firm before but probably because CCTV trade literature is like hens' teeth at my HQ.

Anyhow I am obliged.

May God Bless you and yours at this Christmas time.