cycattani

IP cameras like panasonic etc.

how are these cameras hooked up, what is needed. Please a short step by step explaination. What is the jacking or plug requirement etc. ???

how are these cameras hooked up, what is needed. Please a short step by step explaination. What is the jacking or plug requirement etc. ???

Before I even attempt to answer this question, I need to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and more importantly, what you have accomplished in the past regarding camera installation?

we install all types of cameras, DVRM's, illuminators etc, but we are not great with remote view devices. So know nothing about IP installation type cameras. So how do you hook-up and what is required as far as it is tied to a broadband connection or what, is a router required. What is required by my customer, what service is he or she required to have???

we install all types of cameras, DVRM's, illuminators etc, but we are not great with remote view devices. So know nothing about IP installation type cameras. So how do you hook-up and what is required as far as it is tied to a broadband connection or what, is a router required. What is required by my customer, what service is he or she required to have???

Let's say you want to install six IP cameras. If your client already has broadband, then they probably have a router, if not you will need one. Since most routers only have four ports, you will need a switch, a five port or eight port switch will do depending on how many ports on the router are occupied. Let's assume these are low resolution IP cameras, so placed them as you would any analog camera, running ethernet or category five wire back to the server or NVR (network video recorder), plugging the ethernet into the ports of the switch, with one short ethernet wire running to the router as a bridge, and another short ethernet wire running from either the router or the switch to the server. Now you have physically networked the cameras, but now you have to configure the cameras and server in the router, and this takes some networking expertise. Each camera has a unique IP address, and possibly more than one port, the ports and IP addresses of the cameras all have to be different, this is all done in the advanced tab of your router under port forwarding. The server or NVR, if you are building it yourself, will need to have installed the NVR software or archiving software such as Luxriot.(Luxriot.com), go to their website to get an overview of how the software works. After you have configured the router for the IP addresses and ports for the IP cameras, you will need to do the same thing in the archiving software configuration. Also, you should lock in a static IP for the server in the router that does not change, and also you need to include the server IP in the advanced settings of your router along with the cameras. It's a good idea to set your router for remote access, so you can tweak the system remotely if there's a problem. Also, there are POE Smart switches, that not only power your cameras if they are POE capable, but you can reboot each camera via the switch remotely.

I hope this gives you some idea of how to configure and IP camera system.

If you are a company that has analog camera experience, and want to expand your business to include the IP camera, my company" Maui custom surveillance" is a consulting company that specializes in working with analog camera companies switching over to IP cameras. As your consultant, I can configure your IP cameras and archiving software remotely, monitor your client's network and so forth. That way you do not have to go out and hire a networking person for your company.