Jagco

need advice improving image quality; ready to buy new

I'm looking for advice on improving my business CCTV system. The one I have has poor quality images.

I bought a Nuvica NVDN 410N DVR and 4 cameras approximately 2004. I purchased 3 @ ProVideo Color CCD bullet cameras and 1 @ exterior dome camera (which I think was a ProVideo model also).

One "ProVideo Color CCD Camera" in the shop has died. Besides that verbage on the camera hood there is only this string of numbers on the butt end of the bullet camera to identify it: 11513241451.

I suspect there isn't much in the way of identification on the exterior dome camera either. (I confess I haven't got out a ladder to look yet.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to my experiencing a truck theft and my neighbor experiencing a boat theft, I now know that video evidence must be in sharp focus to be of any use! The quality of the images collected by the existing system is not adequate for police work or court. Not sufficient for me to feel comfortable becoming a vigilante.

I've worked carefully on focusing each individual camera + adjusting the camera's brightness, contrast, and color using the DVR Web Client's "DVR Settings" function.

The image quality is good enough to go kick the neighbor's dog for stealing my lunch off the shop work table, but not much good for positively identifying a thief.

I have the Nuvica DVR set to record on the highest "Super+" quality. The DVR Web Client tells me that these images are being recorded at 5.5 to 5.6 frames per second. I can't find any other adjustment to record at more fps.

The 24 volt (#4) exterior camera runs through about 85' of wire from power connection + DVR. It is set to widest angle. The camera is mounted on the building wall 12' off the ground. It is 45' to the white trailers in the background. The exterior light is a 400 watt metal halide type.

Camera #3 is a 12 volt, runs through about 85' of wire from power connection + DVR, and is mounted on the opposite side of the wall from the exterior camera.

Cameras #1 + #2 are 12 volt, running through about 20' of wire from power connection + DVR.

All power wire is 18 ga. lampcord. Video cables are Belden New Generation #543945 = 20 ga. All power from dedicated circuit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the current 4-channel Nuvica NVDN 410N DVR adequate that I could first buy better cameras to upgrade to high res "court grade" video images, then later upgrade to a better 8 channel DVR + add more cameras for better coverage?

Looking for equipment and technique recommendations to get a high res system where I can clearly identify who the thieves are. Of course, I want to get the most bang for my buck, yet I clearly know you get what you pay for, (please skip all related lectures in replies).

Thanks for any feedback!

first off can you post some pics for us to see?

also you have made on of the most common mistakes made in setting a surveillance system. You have your cameras set to the widest angle. Although this is great for seeing what is going on, it is not good for identification. Let me show you some examples.

here is the standard

object.jpg

in other words you want to have the persons face fill up as much as possible. When you have a wide angle shot the persons face (object of identification, typically) is just a small % of the entire camera shot. So the amount of resolution lines that makes up the persons face is extremely low. Thats why its a good idea for identificaiton critical camera shots it best to have the persons face be as large as you can make it. Typically your cameras for ID are only used for getting faces and should not be reliad on to cover anything else as the field of view is very narrow.

here is a good real world example. Suspect #1 standing on the blocks ( my daughter)

bellblocks.jpg

I'll try out your suggestions, Jisaacmagee, as soon as I have time.

Below are some photos from current setup.

Does anyone have any comment about my current equipment. I need to buy at least one new camera now, due to older one dying. Any suggestions if I want to jump to next level of quality resoulution?

What about DVR recording at only 5.6 fps? How do I increase fps?

Will increased fps recording increase resolution of images with current cameras?

How do I increase the fps recorded? (I assume this will increase resolution or am I wrong?)

What factors affect the fps recorded?

Or, do I need to upgrade both simultaneously to get better resolution images?

"Cam #3" in shop. "Cam #1" photo at front door.

"boat" photo is of thief's truck from Cam #3. Truck is about 30' from camera. Exterior dome camera 10' high mounted on building wall. 400 watt metal halide light.

1460199766_Snap_Jan_12_Cam3.jpg.758ddeee680e1826f4cdf14ea8f789f4.jpg

1156961859_Snap_Jan_12_Cam1.jpg.044171e725c5a27dd12c86b5d507c6fe.jpg

Snap_Jan_07_boat.jpg.d70e4d1179ab3244be58aec0b80c7632.jpg

no the frame rate will not in itself increase the resolution. I am not familure with that dvr and cameras. But an increase in frame rate only increases the total number of frames that are recorded per second. The resolution is totally differrent aspect of the recording process.

I personally would say that the quality and manufacturer should be brought up. But then again I tend to only use the high end manufacturers. What it boils down to is

1) how much are you willing to spend

2) What is more important to you?

Quality of System or Lowest total cost

One thing to keep in mind is your system is only as good as its weakest link. So you definilty need to have the quality cams that match the quality in the recorder. Dont get 540 line resolution if your recorders playback is 320x240.

ok after I logged in I saw the photos.

I definitly say to upgrade the cams and get a professional recorder.

Man you can get much better cameras and a much better overall system than what you are getting from your current system.

You say you want some techniques to get a better images of criminals.

this is how I can best explain how to get better images from your cams in the shortest amount of words possible.

You need to break down your cameras into 3 functions/categories. No camera should attempt to do more than one of these functions.

1. General Activity-overall actions of persons on the property

2. Identification- used to iprovide detailed info on persons physical

charactersitics for ID.

3. LPR- License Plate Recognition

If you need to be able to identify suspects of the video the shots need to be close up. We like to try to have the persons face fill up 1/3 of the shot. The good news about shots like these is that you dont usually have to get numerous shots like these. A way to get your up close and personal shots is to identify the locations on your property that people have to pass to get on or off the property. Those can be your ID shots. Get close and get em horizontally aligned with the camera as possible. That way a hood or hat or shadow will not ruin your ID's. Vandal Proof dome cameras with 3 axis mounting capabilities are excellent for this because you get those thing right in their face. And you dont have to worry about a pissy thief with a tendacy for violence.

With that being said your G.A. shots can be pretty easy to get.

Well my dinner just arrived and it smells pretty dang good. So I will have to finish this reply some other time in the future. Have a good one.

jisaacmagee, thanks for all of your tips. I'll apply your information in evaluating a new setup + equipment.