Sign in to follow this  
plattq45

im trying to setup an CCTV, please give some advices.

Hi, this is my first time to this forum and first time knowing about cctv. please be gentle .

Im planning on putting 4 or maybe 6 cameras outside of my house with around $1000 budget (lower would be nice) and im not trying to do anything crazy or fancy just basic and decent security is good.

one feature i would like to have it to be able to view the cameras over the Internet.

i've done some reading and knowing that there's embedded dvr and PC card. as of this point i haven't made of my mind which to go for but here is my main question below.

can someone please show/tell me how can i hooked up 4 cameras for my house. with $1000 what do i need to get, what can I get. and last but not least is it HARD for me to do the installation myself or a Pro is required.

my main concern is the installation, is there LOTS of wires that i have to run or only plugs and go?

thanks in advance for any help, im looking forward to learn more about CCTV

The installation is going to be the hardest part. Pulling the cable and keeping it hidden is the tedious part but it just takes time and patience.

Keep in mind that $1000 will basically give you "general views" using your cameras. With good placement you should be able to get facial identification at your front door but anywhere else will be just general views meaning you won't be able to make out a face.

On the front page of the forum you can find some "Partners" and there is links where you can find equipment to purchase.

I'd say your breakdown will be something like this:

DVR - $350~$600

Cameras - $100~$125/each

Individual Power Supply - $8/each

50ft Pre-Made Cables - $25/each

There are a few downsides to your budget. Even though you won't be getting the identification, you will be getting less than what I would call "acceptable" quality.

The low end DVR will basically be a continous digital recorder using low resolution and will be a hard drive hog. The higher end will be a bit more friendly in these areas and give you features like remote access, motion activated recording and higher recording resolutions.

The cameras will be a digital day/night infrared camera. They will be decent daytime cameras and "ok" night cameras. Don't expect to see much in the dark past 15ft or so.

The individual power supplies will last around 1 year and need to be replaced. If the budget allows, you might look into a multi-output fused camera power supply. You will have less overall issues.

And for the cables, the downside to pre-made cables is that the hole you cut in the wall needs to be big enough for the cable and attached connectors to fit through while using standard siamese coaxial will allow a much smaller hole for the cable to pass through and then you will terminate the connection aftwords.

THANKS for the prompt reply.

pre-made cables. is that just one cable from the camera to the dvr? and some s-video to the TV/monitor and im ready to let it work right?

to make thing easier to understand, what ALL the CABLES/wires do i need to make this installation work please excuse my ignorance question.

can you please give me a list of the requirement cables for cctv. so i know what im looking at

You'll need the following:

1 Pre-Made cable for every camera installed

1 power supply for each camera installed

1 RCA cable for the monitor to connect to the DVR

and might as well get about 6 bnc to rca connectors.

Here are some pics:

CBL0050.JPG

Pre-Made Cable

bnc-rca.jpg

BNC to RCA Connector

12V500MAR.jpg

Individual Camera Power Supply

Keep in mind that $1000 will basically give you "general views" using your cameras. With good placement you should be able to get facial identification at your front door but anywhere else will be just general views meaning you won't be able to make out a face.

what if my budget is flexible and I can spend around $2000.

would that be able to get betters quality and make out a face then?

im trying to do this right the first time, and I would like a CCTV that would able to make out faces when I needed.

please let me know, thanks.

To get facial identification, your first objective is camera placement. You'll want something like 1/3 (30-40%) of the screen filled with a face. This can be tough at a residence as there is no "ONE" particular place that everybody walks, especially when your talking about a burglar.

I would say to place a camera at the front door, each side of the house covering only the access to the side of the house in hopes to capture a face, and if your going to cover your driveway, we typically install 1 camera for every car your trying to cover.

Anything else will most likely be a general view. It would also be nice to get the cameras at the same level a person would be, this way hats and hoodies are less effective for the burglar.

To be honest, I would say you have a 20% chance at identifying a stranger vandal your home. Now if you have current vandal issues, its normally somebody in the neighborhood and you'll have a much better shot at identifying the person on camera if thats the case.

As for your budget, the $2000 will get you alot further. I tell my do-it-yourselfer customers that the budget breaks down like so:

DVR - $1000 on the low end, $2500 on the high end

Cameras - $500/each

So a typical 4 camera system would run you about $3000-$4000. Now your $2000 will get you started but I would spend it wisely. Invest in a good dvr and you'll be happy in the long run. Maybe start with a dvr and 1 or 2 cameras.

If budget is the issue, you could always lease a system....