rory

What Brands are Popular in the UK

Alarm Systems & CCTV.

I was looking at Baxall and they seem to have a wide range of great products, also noticed Norbain has alot of products, and the Vista series of DVR is identical to GE's DVMRe's. What are the brands of alarm systems used there primarily, where Ademco and GE are large in the US, I dont see them being that popular over there?? Ive had 6 years working in day to day service and installs on Ademco Burglar Alarm Systems. Do they have anything similar to Provideo Bullet cameras over there, as I wouldnt want to have to order direct from Asia as its still too far.

Looks like if I move there, Im going to have to learn everything all over again! Or take a job in a hotel or on a farm

Thanks

Rory

Whatever you do Rory, don't give up your day job!!

The CCTV industry in the UK is ... a bit of a minefield.

Norbain are the largest distributor, having acquired a number of other distributors over the years. Vista was originally launched as their 'own brand' and Baxall were bought to diversify into manufacturing.

Major brands like Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Sanyo, (Philips) Bosch, and the rest are all being squeezed by cheap often poor quality imports from the Far East. A lot of the manufacturers posted on other 'threads' are not widely (if at all) available on this side of the pond. Bullet cameras are generally of average quality, and aimed at the lower end of the market.

One thing that may interest you. Since we are enthusiastic members of the European Union (EU) ... not, we Brits are peculiarly compliant when it comes to legislation which is handed down from Brussels.

I've been wondering why there isn't a thriving trade in PC Built DVR's, until the penny finally dropped.

Some years back, I had to stop modifying, or engineering one off solutions for my customers, simply because of new rules that were brought in.

The Low Voltage Directive, and Electromagnetic Directive, to name but two, literally changed business in the U.K. overnight.

Because every newly assembled or modified product must be lab tested to be compliant with all relevant directives, and then an exhaustive manual containing all the test data must be produced, before the product can receive a 'CE' mark. Without this mark, it is actually an offence to move the goods around the EU, much less try and sell them.

If that doesn't depress you, recent legislation means that within a couple of years, all persons working in the security industry (including consultants and installers) will most likely have to buy an expensive registered i.d. card, and indeed take examinations before it's issued.

You'd probably find life a lot easier in other parts of Europe, where they don't enforce the rules so strictly, but if you are determined to come here, poorly paid hotel jobs are mostly taken up by EU nationals, and our farming industry has long since seen happier days, since the outbreaks of mad cow disease, foot and mouth and salmonella scares. My advice would be to open a vegetarian restaurant!