ncpilot

Video Insight questions (Tom or Kerry?)

Yes! A non-Geo question... Thought I'd post here in case others might find it of interest, rather than go direct to Video Insight support.

I have just read the entire 3.0 manual--both User Guide and Setup, and have a few questions.

1) Can I change server configuration remotely without the Enterprise Manager? What does it require if anything. Or do I have to BUY the Enterprise Manager?

2) If I have a VJ60 card (so I know I've got 30 fps per camera group), and set to record with motion only, and I have 2 cameras in the same group, both specified for 30 fps--what happens if both detect motion? Is the FPS divided? Or if one detects before the other, what FPS will the 2nd camera have?

3) If I want to record time lapse, say one frame every 10 minutes, AND have max FPS motion detection, then the only way is to set up an Event Trigger in the Task Manager for Motion?

(the per camera recording settings have a single "recording type", only one of which can be selected: On, Off, or Motion)

I have spoken with several people at Video Insight a few times in the past several months (Jessica and Linda most recently), and have uniformly been impressed with their willingness to speak candidly with me on many topics--pretty good considering I have not yet purchased their product...

1. use "logmein" free to do you remote. works great and it's free. enterprise is gear more towards managing multiple Servers vice just one.

2. my understanding is they both get 30 reguardless of group if set to 30. tech support can be more exact as I'm ASSuming it does.

3. yes you are correct. Task manager will do the trick. I currently use the task manager to do all sorts of neat tricks.......PTZ's are fun

1. use "logmein" free to do you remote. works great and it's free. enterprise is gear more towards managing multiple Servers vice just one.

2. my understanding is they both get 30 reguardless of group if set to 30. tech support can be more exact as I'm ASSuming it does.

3. yes you are correct. Task manager will do the trick. I currently use the task manager to do all sorts of neat tricks.......PTZ's are fun

I've used logmein, great free product... didn't think of that...

Yes! A non-Geo question... Thought I'd post here in case others might find it of interest, rather than go direct to Video Insight support.

I have just read the entire 3.0 manual--both User Guide and Setup, and have a few questions.

1) Can I change server configuration remotely without the Enterprise Manager? What does it require if anything. Or do I have to BUY the Enterprise Manager?

The network client can change most of the features over a LAN. And the Enterprise Manager comes with the software. Depending on the verison of your CD it's either in a folder or an option under custom install with Install Shield. There is no additional fee.

2) If I have a VJ60 card (so I know I've got 30 fps per camera group), and set to record with motion only, and I have 2 cameras in the same group, both specified for 30 fps--what happens if both detect motion? Is the FPS divided? Or if one detects before the other, what FPS will the 2nd camera have?

It won't let you do that normally. It can be overriden with an event trigger but then you end up splitting framerate. It's a hardware limitation rather then a software one.

3) If I want to record time lapse, say one frame every 10 minutes, AND have max FPS motion detection, then the only way is to set up an Event Trigger in the Task Manager for Motion?

(the per camera recording settings have a single "recording type", only one of which can be selected: On, Off, or Motion)

Yes.

I have spoken with several people at Video Insight a few times in the past several months (Jessica and Linda most recently), and have uniformly been impressed with their willingness to speak candidly with me on many topics--pretty good considering I have not yet purchased their product...