moe

Multi Location Monitoring and Recording Help

Hi guys,

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go for my situation. I'm going to have a system with a few cameras monitoring my home and one or two cameras monitoring my vacation condo. I would like to record both locations.

Since I'm only at the condo on weekends, I will be doing a lot of monitoring from my main home over the internet. However, I would like to monitor both locations at the same time using one simple program. Is this possible?

What is the best way to go for recording both locations? Should I have a DVR at each location and have some kind of remote viewer that ties everything together?

Thanks in advance

couple ways to do it;

- Standalone DVR (ICRealtime) at each location conected tot he internet for viewing. Recording is done at the DVR location(s).

- PC based (Video Insight anaolg Server with IP Server software) at your home with the local camera's connected to the analog server. Install IP cams at the other location and use the Video Insight IP Server software at your home to record via the internet. Viewing of either is the same.

Pro's and cons......lots of info on PC Based vs. standalone DVR's. Decision is yours to make. The biggest Pro's with using IP cams and recording off-site is exactly that. The recorded video is always safer at the remote off-site than actually at your vacation home.

Great information, thanks. A few more questions..

If I'm recording my vacation home using the internet at my primary home, don't I need to worry about bandwith issues? It would be running (downloading video) 24 hours a day.

Also, wouldn't the quality of the recorded video be subpar?

Since I may be replacing the cameras at my primary home, would it be a good idea to replace them with ip cameras, or should I stick with analog?

Does Geo Vision have this same ability to view both analog and ip cameras from different locations at the same time?

I think is better get a dvr system in each location for local recording and NVR for remote viewing, so, like you say, when you have internet issues dont lose info.

Regards

Sorry about my english.

I agree with todoenred, you can record locally at each location, as well as record remotely using a Central Monitoring Software .. Geo has that option, also many others do now as well. With Geo now you can also use standard CCTV cameras with their new video server, which will connect to a remote DVR, meaning no DVR required at the location .. but still I prefer local recording over anything else .. you can never ultimately ONLY depend on the internet for security.