moe

If you had this choice...

A) 1 analog camera with 1 DVR to be recorded by that same DVR at a vacation home and monitored at a primary home.

OR

B) 1 IP camera at a vacation home to be monitored and recorded by a DVR at a primary home over the internet.

My budget will only allow 1 DVR. I would be willing to use the DVR only for my vacation home (I have 2 cameras at my primary home with no DVR) in order to get the best recording and viewing quality at my remote location. My vacation home is my main priority.

b

Hey, thanks. You recommended Video Insight for me in another post. I like it, but I can't help but think that an IP cam is not going to give me the best quality picture at my vacation home.

What's the best IP cam out there now?

Actually IP cameras can give better quality, things to consider are.

1/ Do you get charged for uploading from holiday home?

2/ How reliable is the connection going to be, IE if the internet connection goes down you no longer have a recording with the IP option.

3/ Why not go for a Hybrid system, this allows you one IP cam at the holiday home and 2 analogue ones at your primary location.

Actually IP cameras can give better quality

Besides the megapixel cameras, I havent seen one yet as good as direct into a CCTV monitor, due to compression over the internet. I guess if FPS isnt an issue then it would good.

With one camera only, the bandwisth is allowable to up the resolution, I agree about most IP cams, but you can now buy an XF that is ip and analogue, two outputs, of course compression affects it but that happens at a dvr anyhow

Yeah i was looking at that last night .. but its like $1500!

Plus then you need the $1000 decoder .. or the even more expensive Bosch recorder ... and its still just 4 cif tops.

A) 1 analog camera with 1 DVR to be recorded by that same DVR at a vacation home and monitored at a primary home.

OR

B) 1 IP camera at a vacation home to be monitored and recorded by a DVR at a primary home over the internet.

My budget will only allow 1 DVR. I would be willing to use the DVR only for my vacation home (I have 2 cameras at my primary home with no DVR) in order to get the best recording and viewing quality at my remote location. My vacation home is my main priority.

It all depends on what you hope to achieve.

If all you want is a camera that will capture a motion triggered event of someone entering your lounge or appearing in your drive, then the least expensive way of achieving this would be an IP camera, because you can achieve this without a recorder.

Some IP cams, like Panasonics, can be configured to send snapshots and video clips of motion triggered events to your e-mail inbox or use ftp - just make sure your inbox or ftp site has a generous capacity as false triggering is generally unavoidable.

If you must have continuous recording then analogue will currently give you better results for the same cost. Good IP recording solutions are still rare and expensive.

If you must have low light performance then analogue wins again, few IP cams I have seen are any use in low light.

few IP cams I have seen are any use in low light.

try the pano PTZ's the IP range goes very low light

Agreed,

But the proper PTZ ones, not the little toys like the BL-C10