Eireann32

Sourcing cameras: NTSC or PAL? buying help

Hello all im a new member but i have been reading the forum for quite a while (some great help here btw thx). I work in Ireland doing installs and lately have been looking for other camera sources (havent been able to find anything but ripoff prices here).

Lately im pretty much Geovision based and have started buying some cheaper cams off the net. I got burned basically cos they were a pile of wank and it hurt my rep.

Anyway question 1. Is there anyone here in Ireland or UK who has found a source of PAL-cameras and lenses that are decent quality and not at silly prices? If so please list some places or sites i can go to. I was look at COP brand from UK (still not cheap).

Question 2. Since im using Geovision and can use both NTSC or PAL (even though PAL is standard here. Is there any point in me even using the PAL versions? The US prices on NTSC model are very much cheaper than any PAL ones ive priced in IRL or UK. Should i just start importing US cam and use them?

Im not in the UK, but I noticed Baxall has some great cameras, they are in the UK. Otherwise try Phillips they are great also. They are 'normal' prices. You will get what you pay for in a camera. COP is about the cheapest 'stuff' you will find, at least on this side of the world, dont know what they charge in the UK, I dont use them myself anymore for certain well known reasons, they are same quality as Eclipse, Mace, etc.

On the cheaper end, I sell Provideo, 'some' of their cameras are from Sunkwang in Asia. Dont know where they get the others from like the H.E.A.T. but provideo is based in NY, USA. Otherwise i sell GE, or Phillips when GE isnt available, all higher end.

Good luck.

Rory

Rory is right about Baxall, they are THE major UK based camera manufacturer.

Having said that, their are loads of quality manufacturers products available in the U.K. and Eire, and whilst the topbrands are generally more expensive than the Taiwan / Korean imports, reliability and service support are vital, particularly if you are concerned about maintaining your reputation.

Importing (incompatible) NTSC product from the States or elsewhere, is really only viable a) if you buy in quantity, and b) if you are prepared to hold a healthy stock for service 'back up'.

Try and stick to PAL if possible, otherwise you may get a reputation for selling 'imports' that don't work with other bits (especially as customers have a nasty habit of buying add on bits cheap, without telling you, and then they make out it's your fault if things don't work properly).

You'd probably be better off building a relationship with a trade distributor, and try and stick to one or two preferred manufacturers products.

Without knowing what market your aiming at, or indeed what part of Ireland you're located, it's difficult to comment further.

I am awaiting the Baxall cameras for testing, all feedback has been excellent, they are not cheap though, but cheaper than Phillips and GE, I would suggest stearing clear of cheap imports, try contacting Sunkang and asking whom is their Re-Seller in UK, they are a MAJOR manufactorer and their products are re breanded all over the world, they are very cheap too if you buy large amounts.

Ganz has an office in the UK but it may be out of your price range to get Japanese cameras, but they are well worth the look, out of the thousands I have sold, I think I have had 10 that have failed, and that is NO exaggeration.

As for NTSC, I would not do that, for the reasons mentioned above, getting a bad wrap for saving a few bucks is not worth it, think about monitors etc that may be added later, you should let your customer be able to work it on any equipment bought locally.

besides Pal is better anyway, your best bet is going to be getting in good with a UK distributor or if your going to import anyway, have a look at my prices as we are PAL as well.

If you want a contact at Sunkwang, please PM me and I will tell them you will contact them and they may sell to you direct with good pricing.

this is their web site http://www.koreacctv.com

Failing all of that, offer em a job and I would come there in a flash, I always wanted to live in Ireland, that is my ancestry and at least you know that I know Geo well