1cam

Please Help With Strange Problem With DVR!

Please can someone give me advise. I have a PC with a DVR card installed and 16 cctv cameras connected to it. Normally it works fine but about every 5th day all the cameras go off and the DVR software shows "VIDEO LOSS" on all the channels.But if I plug them in, and view the cameras on a test monitor they are fine.

Then I found that i can restart the computer as many times as i want but the problem persists.

Now here's the funny part: If I unplug the kettle-cord with the main power supply from the PC, and plug it back in and then switch it on, the problem magically dissapears!! And then it works fine for about five days until the cycle repeats itself.

Now I don't know if maybe the pc builds up a static charge over 5 days, and maybe discharges when I unplug the power cord, or what.

PLEASE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THAT HAPPENS?????

Now here's the funny part: If I unplug the kettle-cord with the main power supply from the PC, and plug it back in and then switch it on, the problem magically dissapears!! And then it works fine for about five days until the cycle repeats itself.

Now I don't know if maybe the pc builds up a static charge over 5 days, and maybe discharges when I unplug the power cord, or what.

PLEASE, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THAT HAPPENS?????

When you say "restart the PC as many times as I want", do you mean just restarting, or power cycling the PC and wiaiting 30 seconds? Modern PCs always supply power to the motherboard, even when the PC is off. If you turn off a computer from the front panel, all it happens is that a signal is sent to a chip, and the chip powers down most of the motherboard, but not everything. Pressing power again, turns power on to everything.

I doubt that what you are seeing is static buildup. Does your PC have a real power switch in the back of the power supply? If so, try turning it off, wait thirty seconds, and power on again. If that solves your problem, you can have one of the following:

- your DVR card gets into a funky state after 5 days (could even be a software problem: software drivers can do funky stuff when they crash), and the card doesn't get properly reset just by powering it down, and still draws power when the front panel switch is pressed

- your motherboard has a problem, and needs a full power cycle to get back to working normally. Any problem to the bus (or the chips managing the bus), will result in the drivers not being able to get signal, and trigger the video lost message

If you have more than one PC handy, a quick swap should point to the culprit (PC or card)

What DVR card is it?

Some good advice in the above post.

Also could just be a faulty card, or even a bad DVR software installation.

Have you tried uninstalling the software, removing any remaining DVR folders, then reinstalling?

Thanx for the advise.

I have already done what you said.I while back I swopped the computer with another pc with a new dvr card but it's stil doing the same thing.

The dvr is GV-800.

MOVED

So you tried a completely different PC and DVR card and had the same issues? May be a problem with the connection to the DVR Card, unless that was different in the test also. Could be a camera power issue also. Analog (eg. TV) requires less signal from the cameras to produce an image, while Digital (DVR Card) will drop the video if there is not a strong enough signal. This is fairly rare but still.

also check your video card settings..........and/or the video card in general. update the drivers on your PC also.

I found that most problems like that are either driver related or video card related. ie. your video card shares memory with the MB memory, OR the video card itself is not spec'd out with the DVR card....per the manufactures recommended video cards used.

Also, check the dvr card is seated properly.

The cables which connect to the dvr can put pressure on the card unseating it from the motherboard, make sure the cables are supported and the weight is not putting pressure on the card itself.

Firstly ensure it is not an IRQ issue, then secondly I ask, is the whole ssyetm on a ups, IE is the power for the camera also plugged into the UPS, it sounds like when your power overloads you are getting undervoltage, then whe it cools down again it is fine