mick53

Is this camera possible? sounds too good to be true...

Hi,

Trying to set up simple CCTV surveillance by our front door and I'm trying to do it on the cheap (I know, I know, you get what you pay for).

This camera has all I want. It sounds Ok and it is relatively inexpensive.

Not worried about the 320 line resolution. I have a JVC TM-A13SU monitor that is 320 lines. I just want to see who's outside hitting that bell. This is the only purpose of the set-up.

Here's the vendor's description:

This brand new wireless waterproof infrared color security camera contains hi-resolution lens & 30 infrared LED light, it can transfer full color image in and lights environment, if it is put in darkness( without any visible), it will automatically turn on IrDA (infrared) LED light and transfer black & white image.

All image signals is transferred either via WIRELESS or via standard RCA video connector, that means you can hook up this camera to your VCR or PC with AV connectors or via included wireless receiver and monitor and record any image you need, a perfect tool to protect.

Specification:

Color 1/3" LEN

30 Infrared (IrDA) LED light (automatically turn on in darkness)

NTSC video format

Wireless Signal transfer or A/V Standard RCA Video Output Connector

Resolution: 320 lines

DC Power Input ( Power Supply Adapter Included)

Video can be transferred either by WIRELESS or RCA Video Connector - A flexible solution.

The camera will only be about 6ft from the monitor so maybe the wireless can work, if not I'll just wire it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi

It sounds like a very basic DIY camera, nothing to write home about, and probably CMOS and very low quality with extremely horrible lighting handling. This is typical of cameras that come in those cheap wireless kits, and even more so if it actually has a wireless antenna and a transmitter built in; CCTV cameras will not come like that, just the cheap DIY gear.

I wouldn't expect much from the infrared also, however if the front door area is small then it may give off some light. Typically the IR on these types of cameras often only perform to any useful degree, indoors and in small rooms.

You could try to hard wire it, not sure if that would be worth it though.

I would look at the price, where you are buying it from, then take a look at our advertisers and see what they have to offer; before spending money then wishing you didn't, even if it is only a small amount.

Rory