Hello ALL! I'm relatively a newbie at CCTV. I've been doing ghetto installs for a retail company here in the US. My question is this....

What is the correct way to extend power to a camera 12v/24v for a bullet camera or covert camera? Is everyone just splicing into the existing power transformer that comes along with the above products using extra power cable?

The reason I ask is because I've been guilty of running extension cables-which I am sure is a no no. Lately, I've been using these power boxes that accomodate 16 cameras....

Your wisdom is appreciated o' great ones!

Most of the power supplies that come with bullet cameras or covert cameras are either 250 ma or maybe 500 ma, far too weak to be spliced into and run any distance. Stick with the multi output power supplies that have at least 1 amp on each output. You can get them in mixed 12 vdc and 24 vac voltages if needed for a particular job. Generally the Altronix is the one to use, although Stealth is also a good alternative.

I either splice it, like you said, or use a screw type terminal. These can be purchased from most security dealers. I always use multi power supplies fused, unless the client is very cheap, they are less than 4 camera apps, and they are short runs.

If you do splice it, try to never leave that exposed outdoors, use a weatherproof box, or ceiling/attic, or the BNC/RCA connectors will get corroded eventually and you will run into video problems.

Rory