Sunil

Wireless video monitoring

1. 3 secure sites to be monitored along with respective vicinity roads.

2. Head Office is at max: 1 km distance from all 3 sites separated by water.

3. Requirement wireless cameras on the lamp posts which is 15 meters in height.

4. IP Cameras should be 360 deg PTZ, weather proof, wide angle, 26X optical zoom.

5. Power for cams can be taken from the lamp posts location.

6. Video should be streamed from Monitoring Office (MO) (Using Video server using application software) to the Head Office (HO) via internet. (Accessible to users by link on their website in real time).

How to go about implementing this? Which products are the best and most cost saving?

scenario.JPG.e9dc3f892d8b65837ab593c080360183.JPG

I would use;

- http://www.maxstream.net/products/xtend/rf-modem-rs232.php to do the PTZ control.

- http://www.prairietech.us/index.html for the wireless video & Audio. Don't let the pics scare you away as Randy has smaller antenna that is perfect for your requireemnt.

- http://www.video-insight.com Analog Video Server VJ120 card.

- decent PTZ's are available, just shop til you find the one you need/like.

Implementation:

- purchase Video Insight VJ120, yes I am a VideoInsight installer/reseller). I'd buy a Core2Dual Intell chip to power the XP Pro Server, and/or a 3.2Ghz Intell hyperthread. Set up the Server with (2) hard drives, 80Gb for the Operation system & 300Gb or larger for the video storage. Specs for server are avaliable at VIdeo Insight's WEB site. Also install Logmein for remote access.

- Purchase PTZ's & wireless equipment.

- set-up Video Insight Server (user names, passwords, privlidges, ect. . & test via Network.

- test wireless & PTZ equipment BEFORE you install on pole(s).

- Install equipment on poles. Use lightning & AC surge protection. Protect all AC wiring with metal.

I've tested the wireless equipment and it works. The above package will be cost efficient as compared to other solutions available. ie. wireless network.

- concerning all the features and using them. More is better in any application, BUT, the end result will be how well it works for your clients and ease of video evidence production. Video Insight has the best support around..and that is my #1 issue. The fact that they produce a great Video Package is also important and the end result is my clients attitude in value. To date, my client all love Video Insight, and the police who have required video from it have been equally impressed in how quick a video is burned to CD, clips emailed, or reviewed.

later tater

Note: I would not do IP Video since a decent wireless Network system is expensive and the camera's are also pricey.

The system is actually quite easy to employ. We have been doing this exact same thing for 4 years now. We have WLAN repeater towers all over the state and then all backhaul back to our central location, giving us tons of connectivity and bandwidth. Some client links are as far away as 18 miles from any given broadcast tower with great streaming and nearly nil latency.

It's worked so well, we've even got a published patent on the setup (when using solar panels).

This setup sounds interesting - we have a difficult site and buildings to watch & some trees interrupt a direct line of sight to our main office (although currently can just get wireless internet through the trees). I had considered using three Vivotek wireless IP PTZ outdoor cameras and link the two main buildings on site using two separate broadband connections (each building has phone line and broadband).

But reading this post, I wondered:

Would the microwave / rf system suggested be a better bet than wireless IP / internet?

How does the rf modem control the PTZ cameras?

Would each camera need its own transmitter & receiver back to the main office (i.e. three receivers at the main office)?

What equipment is required between the receiver(s) and the PC card?