Squintz

Wire Connection Tips?

Just installed my first camera in my home and as an electronic tech and electrician I am feeling pretty low about the quality of the connections I did. I installed a HAWK-145IRCB/8 - IR Color bullet camera. It came with a 12vDC pigtail connector and for testing purposes I purchased a variable voltage DC wall-transformer with the changable DC adapters for various sizes. I found that there was not really a size that fit perfectly. I know you can purchase additional sizes but why bother when it was only a temporary solution.

Anywho... Back to the hall of shame speach. I used crimped style BNC connectors on RG59 cable for the video feed. Then I simply used the pigtail and a piece of 18awg wire twisted and electrical taped for the power connection. So the connections are ugly and not water tight. I am getting 12v power from my Elk M1 Gold alarm panel which supplies 12vDC for a variety of reasons.

The setup is working but I can not leave it like that. What products are available for sealing up the BNC connector and what is available for a better power connection. I don't want to use a housing for the camera since it would be bulky and ugly.

What are you guys doing?

I drill a hole large enough to push the cables back up and into the "space" if possible. Use coax seal for the connectors & hole created.

power...you can also use telephone butt connectors that have sealant inside of them for your power, or I purchase eurpoean terminals (plastic) and cut them into pairs.

newer camera's coming out of korea have camera bases now that allow for consealing the wires, but some baluns are a bit too big for them.

each camera has it's methods of install. I also recently stared using a small weatherproof plastic box to install first then a armor dome ontop of it. actually serves 2 purposes. one, it ungrounds the camera from the building..solves the ground loop if there, two it's a nice place to hide wires when I have no place to hide them.

i always just use a weatherproof gang box ... unless it can fit back inside the attic/building. And if it rains alot there use some caulking to seal the cracks.

If I end up having to butt splice a connection, which is not often, I will always use 3M shrink tubing on the splice, then keep that splice in a junction box. I also use the shrink tubing on my twist-on bnc connections for the RG59.