Michaela

Need Input On Capturing A Motion Event

Greetings! I'm running a "Sentinel" brand 4-Channel Digital Video Recorder with an SC3244D Hard Drive; following are the specifications of this system:

# Multiplexer & Quad recording mode switching

# Full size 30 frames/sec or Quad 120 frames/sec record

# Support up to 250 GB HDD

# Motion detection triggered record function

# Wavelet compression format

# 4 CH DVR replaces Time-Lapse VCR + Multiplexer / Quad

# Picture-in-picture (PIP) & POP in live

# Alarm input & output function

# Video Loss Detection on each channel can record up to 256 events

# Quick multiple search by date/time, alarm, full, motion list

# RS-232, RS-485 communication protocol

I have a recorded motion event on the hard drive that reveals a vehicle that may have been involved in a burglary of a neighbor's business. The authorities want a video tape of the vehicle event only and have asked that we produce just that. I have no idea as to how to extract just that event off the hard drive of the recording device and put it onto a video tape. The manual for the Sentinel recording device gives no information whatsoever on how to do this, and the people at Fry's Electronics (where the device was purchased) were absolutely useless as well as to enlightening me on how to do this. Can anyone out there tell me how this can be done; if it can be done? I'd sincerely appreciate any input on this.

Thank you kindly, Michaela

This may be a bit late and i can only go off my DVR but if it has not got a usb port or disc burner then it will have to save the footage to a computer connected to it through a network \lan. I can use my remote software to record the footage from my DVR as it happens or what it has previously recorded to disc and it saves it to a file on the desktop.

Try the remote software see if it works.

Just go from the video out of your DVR, straight into the VCR input. VCR will be RCA jack, though. Sometimes easier to have double ended RCA cable, and use RCA/BNC adapter on the DVR side. This is why I love my Plextor TV-M402U hardware encoder for making video cd's easy. Takes only minutes. Also my Avermedia DVR's have USB 2.0 connection, which will copy to laptop hard drive, then to VCD via Windows Movie maker. Have made over 20 video CD's (that I can remember) for the local PD. Most from business owners machines.

or get a cheap consumer capture card for your PC and do raw video capture as AVI ... DVR video out like mentioned to the Capture Input, then you can do what you like with that video.

I just wanted to extend my thanks to you guys who responded with suggestions on how to capture an event off the CCTV system.

I just read another post about a guy who has the only footage of a thief in their parking lot, and I couldn't even comprehend any of those answers; yours I can understand! Now I just hope one of the suggestions works - I'm hoping the idea of going straight from the recorder into the VCR works, as the cops asked me to produce a video tape, which of course; suggests that that is the equipment they have with which to view the event. I may have to go purchase one of those cards as Rory suggested if the first idea doesn't work - hey, do you think the cops will pay for the video card?! Just joking - they probably won't!

I do thank all three of you gentlemen; for offering your suggestions to help me find resolution on this dilemma.

Sincere Regards, Michaela

No prob, good luck with it ..

Also, yeah a night club here, he gives the cops a VCR tape as well as a CD with AVIs .. as the courts can only use the VCR here.

Rory