GunRunner1

How many wire to control PTZ

I'm getting a pan tilt pelco and I have a Computar motor zoom lens.

How many wire does it take to control all functions (I think it would be .

I WILL BUILD MY OWN CONTROL.

I would like to run the wires while I'm waiting on the Pan-Tilt.

The unit will be 135' away from my DVR in a detached garage with it's on power sourse. What guage wire should I use for the controls?

I won't to run 3 RG-58 coax (2 for other cam's) and the control wire's underground in black plastic pipe normally used for well water. already have the pipe didn't need it just the foot valve was bad.

Please comment!!

Thanks,

1558760944_pelcopantilt.thumb.jpg.0f57dc1b31ed71faf7a62c0e65966e7b.jpg

Dont know about that camera or controller, but typically you just use 1 pair (2 single wires) as it is just I/O, like an alarm switch. Ive run cat 5 in the past in case i need the extra pairs.

As you no I'm a newbie. Cat i5 s that comunication cable like for networks?

Could I use telephne wire the solid copper type? I don't no, But I was thinking I would be sending voltage to the unit, when the switch is activated? My zoom comtrol box has a 9vdc battery and it looks like comunication cable that we use at work for our network is that cat 5?

What is Cat 5? is it shielded? wha makes it different?

its unshielded, Cat5. Basically they would suggest you use UTP Cable, which is Cat5, Cat2, or Cat3 .. I dont know the other 2 types, only ever used Cat5. Shouldn't be sending any voltage over that, and telco wire "should" work also as its just a data signal being sent; but its not a recommended cable for most PTZs. I believe you will need another pair if you want to receive data back from the camera.

You will really need to read the Camera/Controller specs to see what the manufacturer recommends though.

And yes Cat5 is the same network cable.

O.k. I've got some cat 5 cable probaly not enough but I can probally get some at work. I took the zoom controler apart is has what looks to be Cat 5. There are 4 wire I guess thats zoom in & out and focus in & out. and there is a 9vdc battery. So I would think that I need 4 wires for the zoom lens. I will guess (hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) I need 4 wires for pan tilt. 2 for pan 2 for tilt.

with PTZs just the 1 pair will normally control everything .. it is simply data sent to the device .. so it sends data to tell it to zoom or pan or tilt, same pair. BUT, check the manufacturer on that one, if you have a link to the manufacturers specs on their website please read or post it .. thanks

Rory

That type of pan/tilt mechanism needs separate motor control circuitry. I have linked to Pelco's PT1280P below, but here is a link to all of their recent outdoor pan & tilts: http://www.pelco.com/products/default.aspx?id=44

Spec sheet for PT1280P: http://www.pelco.com/productspecs/pelco_pt1280p_pt1280sl_pan_and_tilt_spec.pdf

Installer manual for PT1280P: ftp://www.pelco.com/ProductManuals/Pelco_PT1280P_Series_Pan_Tilts_manual.pdf.

1. You will need 6-7 wires for motor control of pan & tilt functions. These usually run at 24VAC, but depending on the model may be 110VAC or, rarely, 220VAC. You can use 20gauge wires but they will need to be relatively short or you will have to use heavier gauge wire.

The PT may include the following cables, some models did and some didn't:

2. You will need multiple wires for lens control. These have to be stranded and very flexible or they will break from the stresses of panning/tilting. See the diagram from Computar for their 8-80mm auto-iris zoom lens here: http://www.cbcamerica.com/cctvprod/computar/zoom/zoompdf/H10Z0812AMSP-2.PDF (most zoom lenses are wired similarly).

3. You will need camera power and video wires. These also have to be stranded and very flexible, typically stranded mini-coax for the video. CAT-5 will not last very long in this application.

Also keep in mind that this type of PT mechanism is usually very slow to pan and tilt - typically 3 to 6 degrees per second or less. This compares with modern PTZ domes that can pan at up to 400 degrees per second. They are also fixed speed pan and tilt. Modern domes are variable speed when hooked up to a proportional controller.

Give me a day or two, and I will email you my wiring diagram for this P/T unit. I have several of them out in the field, and I think I still have one here at my home. Very basic units, but check underneath and make sure it operates on 24vac ( most do). This keeps things easy. I use 8 conductor cable for most of these. 5 wires for the P/T unit, and 3 wires for the cameras. I tied the common for the Pan and the Tilt together, then send 24v for Tilt Up, Tilt Down, Pan left, Pan right. Normally there is a common for each motor. I don't use the Autopan feature on any of the ones I built and installed. 3 wires for the cameras? Yes. I run one Neutral wire and two 24v hot wires. I have two cameras on these units, one b/w and one color. They switch from b/w to color via photocell control, and an "ice cube " relay. Might sound like a lot of wiring, but actually very simple , in practice.

I found this tilt pan on e-bay looks like a good deal what do yall think.

Probally cheaper than building one. I will be running more than one. I wanted to go wih a keyboard type with a joy stick. but the one's I've found I'm not sure will work with my DVR/Computer. Maybe this will be better??

The only info in the add was, 5 unit control unit for pan. I'd still have to come up with something for the zoom.

Any body think of a good combo unit for multy cam's and ptz's?

around 100 buck's or so?? Heres a picture of it

480784379_BP5.jpg.c65e23050869af859041cebff36aafc2.jpg

I forgot. My DVR is supported by GEO Vision The guy I bought it from said I would need a RS-45 installed to use a TPZ is that true?

My DVR is in the shop but I just looked in the manual and it has some info about PTZ byname & model number. any body know how I can get it to work with the Pelco and a Comutar toom lens?

I just found it my DVR is a GV-800 16 cn.

I didn't get the pelco I got a Vicon V363APTV. (Used older unit)

The add where I got the controler said it connects to PT by Cat 5 cable.

and it would operate as a standalone unit. I will attach the manual. I havn't had much time to look at it. If you would like to see it.

I'm hoping I can just connect it to the P-T with Cat 5 and connect switches to it. I met let the electrical guy at work look at the drawing in the manual and see what he thinks. Thow he's not that knoledgable)

I think that controler is fairly simple switches, lights, transformer,

Thanks,