tplaya07

Need help and recommendations. Webcam based system

I wanted to use a few webcams (Logitech QuickCam Pro 500 and some generic HP camera) I have lying around the house for a security system that hooks into my PC. It doesn't need to be anything special, just be able to see who's at the front door and keep an eye on the driveway/vehicles. They are both USB cameras, and I know that USB has a 16ft limitation. To work around this limitation I was looking at getting this;

[mod edit by kp - link removed. Only manufacturer links allowed]

Does anyone have any experience with these types of USB extenders? If so, how will my quality be if I run 2 webcams off this extender, as compared to just running the webcam hooked directly into the computer. If it is going to cause a major quality/performance drop, I will likely just seek other avenues.

Also, can anyone recommend some good software to monitor and record the video stream? I would like to be able to record manually as well as have motion sensing recording capabilities. PTZ would be nice as well but not a necessity.

Lastly, my plan was to purchase an additional, external hard drive (size recommendations welcome, but I was figuring around 80-100GB) dedicated to the surveillance. Will the webcam recording software allow me to choose where I want to save video streams, or do most just save to the primary HD by default? I just don't want the streams cluttering up my main OS and files.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry about the link. Here is a manufacturer's link. They do have prices listed because they sell direct...so I hope this link is accpetable.

w w w. nti1. com/usbc5.html#

And I could really use some feedback and suggestions. Alot of views, but no replies. Thanks.

Hi, dont think most people here have experience with webcam recording .. which is why they probably havent replied .. mostly DVR and NVR types on the forum ..

But ..might want to check out LuxRiot, but its not free. There are tons of free webcam motion detect software out there, as its really simple to create, even in VB6. All i have seen just handle a single webcam though.

Kind of old but check this out:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2021