eyeinthesky

Question for the pro's

Hi All, I am a cctv operator in a retail chain store in UK, but have a problem with the system that the service company can't fix. The system has 30 static cams, 8 ptz, and 10 "pinhole" cams for tillscan purposes. The cams are wired to 3 dvrs, with 16 static cams to first dvr, then 14 to the second and the ptz and tillscan to the last. The tillscan cams are through a live switcher and have 1 connection on the dvr. Each dvr has it's own monitor and is also looped to a 16/2 matrix. The 3 matrices are linked and connected to a further 8/2 matrix as a master, which then connects to an "incident" monitor and keyboard/ joystick controller to operate the ptz cams. Also connected is a video printer and a time-lapse vcr.

The problem started with a power cut that lasted several hours, and when the system restarted, the incident monitor showed only 1 ptz cam and wouldn't select anything else, although all the cams were fine on their dedicated monitors. The service company came in and replaced the master matrix, and 1 of the others but could not fix the problem. They came again and replaced 2 of the matrix psu's, still no joy. They came again and disconnected all cables and reconnected them to ensure they were correct. This time, all pictures were restored to the incident monitor, but there is a flicker halfway down the screen on all ptz cams and on several of the statics. This flicker seems to be a repeat of the camera title display, but is still present even if the title display is turned off. The flicker often turns into a blue screen, but also at times will settle and disappear, only to come back after a short time. The display on the dedicated monitors is perfect throughout. The service company came back on Friday, replaced all 4 matrices, but made absolutely no difference.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for reading this,

Regards, Dave

Hi, did they reprogram everything how it was before?

Maybe there is a title display setting enabled on one of the matrixes that wasnt before?

Could it be coming through from the DVRs?

Rory

Hi Rory, thank you for such a quick response. I don't think the techs changed any settings, I will have a look at that today. I am guessing the dvrs will be ok, as the pictures on the dedicated monitors are fine and they are connected direct to monitor out on the dvrs. Thanks again,

Dave

label and disconnect equipment until the problem disappears. if you do it in a manner that makes sense you may find the problem. I'd start with the power supplies first, monitors, cameras, one at a time, disconnect, wait, watch. If you can, bypass the battery back-ups to make sure they are working properly. Mke sure you unplug the monitors from power also.disconnect completly when troubleshooting for this problem.

You'll find it................

I'd also check the power supply at the junction box, as well as at the PTZs.

The flicker effect I have seen on cameras that have a video low signal, and or low power. One of my chip cameras gave me the flicker until I re-adjusted it so it got more light. Another one of my 12VDC cameras was giving me some problems until I upped the power supply.

I've also seen the flicker effect on a camera I powered off another camera, which had a home-made connector to the J-box.

J-Box---> Electronics Cage---> Recieving Line.

The Electronics Cage camera was fine and dandy, but the Recieving Line was black with the flicker of text from the matrix. Turned out to be a power problem (after 4 hours of troubleshooting). Yet the Elec Cage was fine the entire time.

And as far as the Big Brand techs... not impressed. I had them look at a few of my PTZs, including one that wouldn't zoom much anymore. "I don't know. Thats as far as it goes it looks like. Bye". So I took it apart and found that the lense was gummed up, so the motor couldn't spin it. WD-40 fixed that baby real quick. Zooms like a charm.

Is there anyone in your company that is a CCTV-guru? Usually there is one (like myself), who knows how all the company's camera systems. I'd ask them to come over and help you track it down.

Also, check the video line from the camera prior to it hitting the matrix. See if you have any live video signal.

Hope you get it working. I know the frustration of "damnit they went into a blind spot" and they come out without the merchandise...

Hey! Thanks guys! What great responses! Fortunately, I have managed to track down the problem and fix it too! I was following Rory's advice today but didn't find any incorrect settings, and at the same time thinking of when the flickering / ghosting started. I had 2 techs come in 2 weeks ago and disconnect all the cables, and reconnect to ensure they had it right, but at the same time, they replaced the master matrix and 1 of the slaves. They got all the cams displaying on the incident monitor, but left me with this flicker, saying it was a software issue. Last friday, a guy came and changed all the matrices again, but found that 1 matrix was faulty, so changed it back. I still have 6 spare matrix boxes in my office, so I decided to try the original master matrix, and you guessed it!, it works just fine, no flickering! The techs never mark up the stuff as faulty when they take it out, so I guess they must put it back in stock and send it out on the next job!

Anyway, I had a great day after all that, cams all ok, and I caught a thief who had stolen from us 3 months ago, and came back for another try.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Dave

Great, yeah the new one probably was never programmed to disable the title display. .. i guess.