Marmot789

suggestions on design and install of Panasonic PTZ (not dome

I'd like to replace my Dock camera (Pelco Esprit PTZ controlled through Coax) with a Panasonic Hybrid or possibly an IP based camera. But I'm not sure what this entails for wiring or how it would record if I did go with IP based?

the camera location is about 800 ft from the current Dedicated Micros DVR. I'd like to start switching over cams (6) to an IP based system starting with this one. I have 120v power supplied at the dock.

from my understanding I have to run cat5 for an IP cam. I have a Network switch (AP) 200 feet closer that I could run the Cat5 from cutting the distance down to 600 ft. From the other forums I"ve read this would still require active baluns to run this far? what is required for wiring including the PTZ control and camera itself. Power shouldn't be an issue.

I know Panasonic sells camera management software- is this required to use and control an IP camera or can I record into a CPU over the network without this software? what about using a Geovision card when they start supporting IP?

there is several issues with this.

Ok first of all if you went with a panaonic hybrid camera (np1004) would you be using the analog or IP side of the camera? You need to let us know so we know how to answer this question.

Ok so if your going to IP then you are going to have to run fiber for your network as 800ft is to far for a copper network.

But if you are running the camera of the analog side then you can use the cat 5 and use a active balun and a passive balun. If you said your switching to a hybrid camera then what are you worried about the ptz control? panasonic does not make a hybrid ip ptz.

and no you do not have to have the managment software to record their cameras. But you cant record their ip cams with geovision. You can use milestone. But i would recommend using their nv300.

so the theoretical limit is still 328ft for Cat5, no devices would extend this without putting some kind of repeater (switch) half way between my run of 600 ft? If I didn't run fiber, there isn't a way to run an IP camera to this location? Has anyone extended there network just to reach a IP camera location?

I thought I could use the Panasonic wv-7260d Pan/Tilt mounted with a almost any Panasonic camera, and then just control the camera's zoom. This would not work?

What would be the best alternative for doing a PTZ IP camera (not necessarily Panasonic) without running fiber, something relatively simple.

Thanks

the np1004 is also a hybrid. And for the price of the 472 you might as well get the np1004.

here is another option for your length issue.

hwpair.jpg

hwdiagram.gif

this is a coax to ethernet. it allows you to run a network over your existing coax network.

it also gives you 900 feet distance on your network.

here is the link

http://www.veracityusa.com/

the only thing is these things are well between the 400+ range each.

panasonic does not make a hybrid ip ptz.

let me clarify on this. yes panasonic does make a hybrid ip ptz camera

the WV-NS324.

But take it from me and even my panasonic rep this camera is junk. The only thing panasonic carrys that is junk. I dont even count that as a camera.