GunRunner1

what does the term terminate mean? & How to connect cat

1. I've heard pepole refer to terminating and always thought it ment connecting the wires say at a control box power disconnect ect.

What does terminate mean.

2. I've heard pepole talking about loss at a connection. Is there a way to decreese this loss.

3. If I ran say 100' of cat-5. I used 2 pairs and conneced two camera's.

I have 4 pair plan to connect to future camera's and one pair just exta for what if. Should I connect these wires to boxes with some type of plug receptical ect. or just wait and soilder the wire together. Or is there a better way to connect Cat-5. Also ways to reconnect or splise a Cat-5 back together?

Thanks,

Gunrunner1

Well....

For #1

You pretty much have the same definition of "Terminate" as I do, though I typically think of it more as the connection at the ends of a circuit or wire run.. Such as terminate the wire to a wall jack.

For #2

Normaly, when I think of "loss" at a connection, I think of signal loss with coax cabling with an RF signal. That Loss could be at a coupling or at the termination points where you always need to accomodate for some signal loss no matter how well your connections are done.

For #3

I can't think of a situation where you would want to solder a connection with twisted pair type wiring. If needing to do a splice you could use bean or butt splice type connectors. At terminations, devices will have screw down type terminals or some kind of punch down termination.

With wiring topologies that utilize Cat-5, Cat-6.... that utilize the twisting of the wires to keep signal integrity, splices and terminations will need to keep the wires twisted right up to the splice / termination point.

I don't know if that will help, especially with #3 which I was not 100% clear on what you were asking.