rory

GeoVision Easy Share

GeoVision Easy Share

Introduction

Had to make a CD for the cops, and really wasnt into the whole EZlog thing, only had a single camera, 3 videos, to put on the CD and just wanted them to be able to open up Windows Media Player.

So basically made a small program that silently installs the codecs and then browses the CD's main directory; when the CD is "autorun". This means that if you have CD Data to use the autorun feature in XP (default), or when you click on the CD Drive in My Computer, it will install the codecs required to view the Geo Event Files, and then Windows Explorer will open to the CDs directory so the user can view the videos.

What the program does

1-Checks to see if the Codec folder exists on the CD, continue below if it does, if not just browse the drive.

2-Checks if the codec files exist on the CD under the Codec folder, if they do, then check if they exist in the System folder or not, if they dont exist yet then copy them there.

3-Update the Registry entries with the codec information.

4-Browse the CD's main directory (Shell Explorer CD-DRIVE).

Thats it .. simple and to the point. Now the Cops can watch the files, copy them to their hard drive to watch later, or whatever they want. They also have the Codec folder so they can just run that codec installer anytime they like.

How to use

The Codec and the Installer files are located under a folder called "Codec". The folder name cannot be changed, and the Installer file must be in that codec folder.

2 other files are located in the main directory. There is an Icon which is called "autorun.ico". This is the icon shown in My Computer next to the CD Drive Letter when the CD is placed in the Drive. You can change this to anything, and name it anything; though if you change the name, you must change it in the autorun.inf file.

Autorun.inf tells the CD what to do. Basically you will want to change the label, which would represent the name of the location the video came from, your company name, or anything else you want to name it.

As mentioned before, you can also change the autorun.ico to anything you like, but the it must actually physically exist in the main directory, or if you place an icon under a sub folder, you must add the folder information also. Eg. icon=icons/mylogo.ico, would represent the icon file named "mylogo.ico" located under a sub folder called "icons".

The "open=" line must stay as is.

Then just dump your AVI event files into the main directory, drag all the files from that main directory and the Codec sub folder into your CD burning software, and Burn it to CD. I also recommend naming the event files something the Cops can understand (eg. "01.12 AM.avi"), but that is entirely optional.

Download:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=GeoShare.zip

More Info:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geoshare.asp

NOTE: If you want them to be able to save bitmaps, change the video settings, or save additional AVIs from the files, then you will need to use the EzLog. Also EzLog is better for multiple camera playback.

Edited by Guest

I have an executable that installs all the codecs. Very simple and fool proof. Just run it and open the AVI in media player or winamp. I would post a link but I dont have enough posts to do so. If you want it PM me.