Frantic

So close...

Hi there,

I spent some of last week configuring a friends cctv system in their office.

Got it working fine and viewable from within the local network and then we wanted to try remote viewing (found some good help in the faqs of this forum). We played around with the guides we had got off of our manufacturer (system q) and after a few attempts, I managed to take a quick break up the pub, connect to their network and then connect to ours, thus viewing the cameras.

The problem is, we cant seem to do it off of his network at home or my network at home either. Are there any obvious reason for this that I am over looking? The static ip and port numbers are the same as when I connected in the pub but when trying anywhere else, it will say on the software it has connected (exactly the same as when working at the pub) but there are no visible pictures. I think after a while it drops out.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks,

Miike

Ah, one of those really fun topics

First, go back to the pub, have a pint and try again. Make sure it still works. This sort of thing is easy to break if you start tinkering, so double check that it is good.

I'm going to ask some very basic questions, just to make sure we don't miss something obvious. When you are connecting from the pub, you are going from the pub's network, across the internet, through whatever firewall the office has and then to the DVR (or video PC). Right? If so, that tells us that you really did setup the office correctly (yeah!).

So, you used a laptop at the pub, right? Is that the same computer you used to try to connect from home? If not, give it a try.

I've never heard of an ISP blocking outbound ports, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem. But having said that, what port numbers are you using? Can you change them?

Yeah, sorry about the nature of the topic, not very interesting, I know.

I will have to go back to the pub (oh noes! ) and try it to be qudruply sure, but...

I'm going to ask some very basic questions, just to make sure we don't miss something obvious. When you are connecting from the pub, you are going from the pub's network, across the internet, through whatever firewall the office has and then to the DVR (or video PC). Right? If so, that tells us that you really did setup the office correctly (yeah!).

Yes, that basicly explains it to the best of my knowlage.

So, you used a laptop at the pub, right? Is that the same computer you used to try to connect from home? If not, give it a try.

I tried my laptop at my house (wireless) and I tried my laptop and a wired computer at my parents.

I've never heard of an ISP blocking outbound ports, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem. But having said that, what port numbers are you using? Can you change them?

The dvr's port number is 50000, thats about as far as my knowlage with port numbers goes unfortunatly.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I guess I will go and try it at the pub again first, to hope/pray that at least still works.

Miike

bit early for the pub hey

Okay so is the Pub on the same ISP as the Office, and is the home on a different ISP? Or are they all on the same ISP?

Rory

Cheers for your reply Rory, your tutorial really helped.

I'm not sure about the pubs isp, I guess I will have to make another trip up there later to find out. The office and my parents house (from where it didn't work) are on Bt.

Its just so strange, because it does (at least seem) to connect at the houses but no pictures are visible.

I've changed the method to DMZ server to see if that makes any difference.

*Edit* Nope, no difference. Still seems to connect but shows no pictures.

*Edit 2* Would it be worth changing the port on the DVR? If so, how do I find out what ports are safe?

*edit 3* My Lan Port subnet mask and the adsl subnet mask (located in the router status) are different, would that make any difference?

Cheers

Lan Port and Subnet are just for internal use.

You can connect to the DVR from the Pub over the internet, so the Server side setup is correct.

At the home try to telnet to it, forget the DVR's software and video for now.

Command Prompt and enter:

telnet IP PORT

where IP is the static and port is the webcam port.

If it doesnt fail, and it will tell you if it does, then it connects to that port fine and it is another issue.

Edit-you didnt mention what DVR you are using?

Edited by Guest

also, just note that some DVRs will also use other ports for outbound (maybe inbound also?), usually TCP/UDP and other computers on your network at home may be using those. It should find available ports and just use those, however if perhaps another PC is loaded down with malware they might be taking up any available ones or cause other problems.

I just connected with the Geo DVR software and it was using the 2800 range on my PC, though in the past I have also seen 1300 ranges as well.

Download Active Ports and run it:

http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html

Then try to connect with your DVR software and note the LOCAL ports it uses, if any, You will then want to check and see if anything else is using them on the PC or network, or whether the ISP is blocking those.

For common programs that use specific ports, check the list out here once you determine which ports the DVR software requires:

http://www.sonomawireless.com/~ports/port1-99.html

Rory

Thanks again for the reply Rory, been a bit sidetracked so far this week but I will go through what you have suggested and post back my results.

M

Thanks again for the reply Rory, been a bit sidetracked so far this week but I will go through what you have suggested and post back my results.

M

Another thing to check if you are not getting video in certain location and can get it remotely in another, is to check the broadband connection speed. I found that on a DSL connection at one of my client's office was that the connected was not getting a good download speed. They were paying for 1.5 megabit, but were only getting less than 256K. A call to the ISP cleared up their issue and the problem was solved and the video came through like a champ.

The cameras have taken a slight back seat over the past couple of weeks, but again thankyou for the suggestions guys.

Nap - I ran an online speed test from the office but am yet to do it from home. The office results were along the lines of this

Down: 474.01kpbs

Up: 220.39kpbs

I was going to try the active port program but am a bit wary (terrified) of downloading software to their machines at the office at the moment. Lack of up to date anti virus and all that.

A call to the manufactuer (after unanswered faxes and emails before joining this forum) informed me that I should have opened ports on my home router, the 50000 port that the DVR uses at the office. That diddnt make too much sense to me but I tried it anyway and alas it diddnt work.

I ran active ports (and an alternative as well) at home and it informed me that the DVR software had indeed connected but the local port it used kept changing. Even when opening up a large range on my home router, the cameras diddnt show.

Hope this is making sense, trying to be as detailed as possible.

So I'm still not too sure. I will check my home speed and have a chat to him about putting the active port software on the office computer.

Thanks again for your help thus far,

Miike