peten2359

Building PC based DVR with Geovision?'s

I'm looking at building a pc based dvr using geovision cards and had some questions

1) can I use multiple cards, ie start with 4 or 8 channel and buy additional 4 or 8 chan card

2) specs say P4 2.0 how does this translate for dual core systems and I love AMD systems will these work

3) I'm looking at using the GV-650-8, I don't need high fps, doing remote view over internet so high fps slows this down a bit on my current system would like to start with 8 chan and expand to 16ch if needed.

4) any base or prebuilt system recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1-One card only

2-Intel Chipset. If you are building a DVR PC now, It should be a Core 2 Duo system, if on the cheap, then at least a 3.0Ghz P4. Dont use Pentium Dual Core, gets too hot.

3-?

4-Nope, nada, none, always best to build your own, and cheaper.

4- Any Prebuild system recommendations?

-Nope, nada, none, always best to build your own, and cheaper.

Oops I meant computer system not DVR, are there any base computer systems you like adding these cards too?

Also, Core Duo is a 1.8 ghz good? Plenty of them avail.

Thanks for the help.

Thats what I meant, PC Systems. I dont recommend any, as you can build a better one for less than a prebuilt name brand.

1.8 is still slow, I would go at least 2.0/2.13, better yet 2.4. In fact seeing as the newer 2.6 is cheaper (E6750), thats what Im using. Just get the one that has 4MB Cache, 2MB cache at the least.

1.8 Should work though, but remember that the Core 2 is not always going to run at the max frequency, so it can feel sluggish when moving around Windows, unless you set the CPU in the bios to always run max. By default a 2.4 will run around 1600 mhz until it needs it.

Just a note, Geo, especially its latest 8.12 version, likes ALOT of memory, more the better, 2Ghz at least since it is so cheap. Ive run it with much less ofcourse (as low as 256MB), but then that was slow, or it was older versions like 7.xx.

Basically looking at the CPU prices, if you are going for the 1.8 800FSB 2MB Cache, might as well at least get the 2.0Ghz for $7 more (E4400). Also they have a 1.86 4MB Cache version.

How much would you expect to spend on a core 2 duo 2.4 with 2gb memory, and 320gb hard drive? Would you use XP over vista?

Thanks

PS what is the file structure like for the recorded video, ie can you play it directly. On my current system which uses KDT it has the files separated by day and I can upload the day and view it on my local software. The only disadvantage to this is a whole day has to be uploaded but it's not that big a deal.

Price will differ.

It saves them all as AVI files in sub folders.

EXAMPLE:

======

\Cam01\0830\Event20070830020156001.avi

EXPLANATION:

=========

Cam01 = Camera 1

0830 = August 30th

Event20070830020156001.avi:

------------------------------------

Event = Reserved

2007 = Year

08 = Month

30 = Day

02 = Hour

01 = Minutes

56 = Seconds

001 = Camera

Geo 8.12 has a program Called Remote Viewlog, so you can just connect using that and playback the video as if you are sitting there. It plays it back compressed but still in decent quality. You can then download the raw video you need that way. OR, you can use the older program called Remote Playback, and download the files that way.

Optionally you could setup a FTP server and use that to do it manually or using some other software; never done that myself though.

Awesome, exactly what I'm looking for a file of each event.

Not sure how you operate but everything I do is remote, so anything I can do to avoid waiting on stuff to load via internet helps.

With this you could replicate the server using an ftp server, but this is better because it is by event vs by day. Uploading a 150mb in one shot is a bit tricky.

Thanks for all the help.

see this program for an example of the View Log, it is basically the same as the DVR View Log, which is GeoVision's DVR Playback program, and also essentially similar to the Remote Viewlog, except it is just local. It will run without any video in there also if you just want to demo it.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9761

4- Any Prebuild system recommendations?

-Nope, nada, none, always best to build your own, and cheaper.

Oops I meant computer system not DVR, are there any base computer systems you like adding these cards too?

Also, Core Duo is a 1.8 ghz good? Plenty of them avail.

Thanks for the help.

I didn't want to build my own PC, so I went with a machine from End Noise PC. I wanted to make sure that it would be quiet and that's their specialty. There is some chance to pick your own components, so you can be a little flexible. I got one of their value line machines and it is working out fine, added a couple of 500G HD from Newegg.

Windows XP.