Sign in to follow this  
Javik

Repurposed T1/E1 data balun, for video over CAT5

So anyway I'm looking around for rack-mountable balun options for my own custom-build cable plant, and I've found something that looks relatively low-cost for a rackmount panel.

Most of the prebuilt rackmount passive balun converters seem way overpriced and I will get locked into whatever their particular twisted pair arrangement may be.

While I could just have a pile of individual passive baluns free-hanging off the CAT5 drops by the video server, that seems like it'll become a hell of a spaghetti mess in a few years with perhaps 30+ cameras.

At this point, I'm going with a custom-build rack with components from l-com.com to reduce costs and give me a high level of flexibility. I can custom-wire standard CAT5/6 rackmount jacks and use standard CAT5 cable with RJ45 plugs for all the runs:

2U .50" Panel (Black), 32 0.5" D-Holes:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8621&cmp=ALSOS

This particular balun looks like a good option for a custom-built passive rack panel, though it isn't intended for video at all. It's SUPPOSED to be for T1/E1 data communications cabling, but looks like it'll do great as a passive coax-to-UTP video balun as well:

75 to 120 Ohm Balun, BNC Bulkhead Jack / Krone IDC:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=1067

Though the page says it's for 75 ohm to 120 ohm, note the three punchdown connectors on the back. I called L-Com about it, and the 3rd connector allows for 75 ohm to 100 ohm matching as well. Allowing for 100 or 120 ohm UTP matching is something that I've never seen on any of the other video baluns.

Has anyone else tried this balun yet for video? I do not see any potential problems vs any other passive baluns made specifically for CCTV.