Thomas

Covert/dummy cameras

I was looking through some catalogs (slow day, everyone is at the trade show in Dallas I guess) and all of the covert camera's that are made to look like a real object and all of the dummy cameras look like they'd be painfully easy to spot. Am I just looking at the wrong catalog? Or is everything in those catagories just junk? (I know there is debate if dummy cameras should even be used and I'm not trying to bring that up, just asking on the base of pure asthetics.)

Ive used some hidden cameras, from Kalatel, and they are actual working devices in the cases I have used them, such as motion sensors and smoke detectors. They have some of the best looking range of hidden cameras I have seen out as they generally use Sentrol or other GE alarm hardware.

http://www.cctvtime.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=835&cat=+Discreet+Cameras+%2D+Premier+Line

You're right Thomas, with our knowledge, being in the business, coverts and dummy's can be painfully easy to spot. A lot of the time, you just have to look for the little flashing light, as an example. We know what to look for.

The thing you really have to keep in mind, is that the bad dudes we're trying to catch on camera generally aren't in the business, and don't have the savvy to catch these things at a glance. Especially with a covert, where you're looking potentially for a little change in glass color smaller than a dime (see Silent Witnesses Height Strip Cameras), it's generally not something that they watch for.

I guess it comes down to thank god they don't know as much as we do.

With the dummies you are right, but some of the covert ones I saw...oh well, they will probley be in a hurry anyway.

Have you cosidered using dummy dome cameras, You could use an everfocus ed000zz-00b These are real dome housings for the everfocus line. The advantage of this method is you won't waste any money if you want to change over to a real dome (just add board camera)

No fake wire to hide, no unrealistic red light and properly installed no way to see if a real camea inside.

They cost around $9

yep, but they are discreet any designed not to be noticed, a cheapere eclipse or COP USA camera B/W low res, but just dont connect it up 0