markb

Two Mitar cameras and sample images

Hi,

Thought I'd start a new thread to share some sample images from two Mitar cameras.

Continuing the numbering from the previous thread, Camera #2 is a Mitar MT-306, OEM'd as GS-306. Camera #3 is a newer Mitar MT-810B (according to the box--hard to find online), OEM'd as GS-306B. The main difference is in sensor size and lines of resolution. Here are the specs:

------------------------------------

Camera #2 - Mitar MT-306

Day & Night Outdoor CCD Camera (Waterproof)

• Built-in infrared LED, may work under zero degree of illumination environment

• The infrared project distance is between 12~18 meters (40 ~ 60 ft)

• Using waterproof metal crust (IP67 standard)

• Automatic backlight compensatory function

• Automatic tracking white balance

Model Name GS306

Pick-Up Device 1/4" Sony CCD

Number of Pixels 512(H) x 492(V)

System of Signal NTSC/PAL

Horizontal Resolution 420TV Lines

Minimum Illumination 0 Lux

Lens CS Mount, 3.6mm (90°)

Backlight Compensation On/Off

Electronic Shutter 1/50(1/60)~1/100,000sec

White Balance Auto

S/N Ratio >48db

Gamma Correction >0.45

Operation Temperature -20°C~50°C (-4°F ~ 122°F)

Sync System Internal

Video Output ≤1.2Vp-p/75Ω

Power Source Supply DC12V, ≥750mA

Weight Approx. 2 lb

Dimension 102x58 mm (4x2.3 in)

Camera #3 - Mitar MT-810B

Day & Night Outdoor CCD Camera (Waterproof)

• High Resolution Color IR LED

• Built-in infrared LED, may work under zero degree of illumination environment

• The infrared project distance is between 25 ~ 30 meters (75 ~ 90 ft)

• Using waterproof metal crust (IP67 standard)

• Automatic backlight compensatory function

• Automatic tracking white balance

Model Name GS306B

Pick-Up Device 1/3" Sony CCD

Number of Pixels 512(H) x 492(V)

System of Signal NTSC/PAL

Horizontal Resolution 520TV Lines

Minimum Illumination 0 Lux

Lens CS Mount, 3.6mm (90°)

Backlight Compensation On/Off

Electronic Shutter 1/50(1/60)~1/100,000sec

White Balance Auto

S/N Ratio >48db

Gamma Correction >0.45

Operation Temperature -20°C~50°C (-4°F ~ 122°F)

Sync System Internal

Video Output ≤1.2Vp-p/75Ω

Power Source Supply DC12V, ≥750mA

Weight Approx. 2 lb

Dimension 102x58 mm (4x2.3 in)

Samples in next post.

Mark

These samples were captured from live (not recorded) feed the DVR's video out port using AmCap and my old USB webcam converter.

IR Image from Camera #2, Mitar MT-306:

MT306.IR.Live.ThruDVR.viaAmCap.jpg

IR Image from Camera #3, Mitar MT-810B:

MT810B.IR.Live.ThruDVR.viaAmCap.jpg

Is it just me, or does the "better" MT-810B cam look fuzzier? The holder for the towel bar has a crack in it--visible in the first pic but not the second. Does the MT-810B need focusing? The instructions say not to open the camera.

Mark

Here is a daylight shot from Camera #2, Mitar MT-306:

MT306.Daylight.Live.Front.jpg

Same basic scene from Camera #3, Mitar MT-810B:

MT810B.Daylight.Live.Front.jpg

Now back to Camera #2, Mitar MT-306, with digital zoom:

MT306.Daylight.Live.Front.Zoomed.jpg

And Camera #3, Mitar MT-810B, with digital zoom:

MT810B.Daylight.Live.Front.Zoomed.jpg

These still look fuzzy and washed out to me compared to Rory's jeep picture posted a few days ago, also from a "budget color camera." Maybe my USB converter is the weak link here? Does anyone have a USB converter that they recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

Both cameras have the same exact specs according to the above, except the lens type, and the IR (same res).

Not all cameras are made alike. Just because 1 camera at price $xx works great doesnt mean another at the same price will - regardless of the specs.

Anyway, Color /IR cameras normally would look shabby in the day, as they dont have an IR Cut filter, which a fixed color camera and a True Day/Night does.

Forget what they say, if its cheap, open it and focus it. Fixed lens so you may need a tiny straight scew driver to loosen it first before adjusting. Watch any power cables or boards in there, cheap cameras will fry easy. Should be straight forward though, loosen front, loosen screw on lens mount, adjust till focused best as it can be. Will need to plug it into a 9" CCTV Monitor, or at least something like a 13" TV, to focus it properly though.

Though that might just be the best they are. Also, unless using RG59 also it will be hard to tell for certain.

The USB converter might also be limited to only 352x240 or 320x240.

Rory

Rory,

Thanks for your comments.

Both cameras have the same exact specs according to the above, except the lens type, and the IR (same res).

If resolution is the pixel size (512x492), yes that's the same. I thought that 520 vs. 420 TVL meant higher resolution. And shouldn't the larger CCD also give a better image?

Not all cameras are made alike. Just because 1 camera at price $xx works great doesnt mean another at the same price will - regardless of the specs.

No doubt. If you or anyone has a better recommendation in the $40 - $90 range, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm still in my 30-day return policy on the 810Bs.

Anyway, Color /IR cameras normally would look shabby in the day, as they dont have an IR Cut filter, which a fixed color camera and a True Day/Night does.

Finally read up on what an I/R cut filter is, and I think I see what you mean. But the lack of an I/R filter just means poor color, right? I can live with a washed-out image, but I want it to be as sharp as possible, day or night.

Forget what they say, if its cheap, open it and focus it. Fixed lens so you may need a tiny straight screw driver to loosen it first before adjusting. Watch any power cables or boards in there, cheap cameras will fry easy. Should be straight forward though, loosen front, loosen screw on lens mount, adjust till focused best as it can be. Will need to plug it into a 9" CCTV Monitor, or at least something like a 13" TV, to focus it properly though.

Though that might just be the best they are. Also, unless using RG59 also it will be hard to tell for certain.

Thanks for those instructions. There's a sticker so they'll know if they have been opened. If I decide to keep the cams, I'll probably try focusing them.

The USB converter might also be limited to only 352x240 or 320x240.

Good thought. I checked the specs for this Intel PC430 webcam. It says that the "Image Sensor" is "Progressive scan CCD, 640 x 480." But then it says that the "Resolutions (native)" are "40 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120." So maybe the 640x480 is interlaced.

Thanks again for the time you take to help out us newbies!

Mark

With budget cameras, and these days, 1/4" and 1/3" just typically mean you get a wider FOV with the 1/3" (dependant on the lens ofcourse).

Also be sure to read up here on day night cameras if you havent already, lots of good threads. IR cut filter stuff also.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6122

Ive seen some decent images with cameras without IR cut filters, then seen some horrible ones. So it really depends on the camera.

No prob ..

Rory

With budget cameras, and these days, 1/4" and 1/3" just typically mean you get a wider FOV with the 1/3" (dependant on the lens of course).

Well as you can see in the photos, the FOV on the 1/4" camera is noticeably wider than on the 1/3" camera. They were mounted on the same mount for these tests. Both supposedly have 3.6mm lenses.

If I'm remembering correctly from my photo hobby days, the normal lens for a 35mm camera is 50mm. But a 50mm lens on a 6x7cm camera is a wide angle. If CCD size works the same way, the 3.6mm should give me a wider field of view with the larger "film" size. Since it doesn't, either the specs are wrong or something else is involved. (I can see the "3.6" on the smaller camera's lens, but the lens on the larger camera is unmarked, so maybe it's really longer.)

Mark

Yep noticed that, the 1/3" will be wider with the same lens. So they may have sent them with different lenses than were in the specs, that happens sometimes with OEM cameras.