sbbamafan

IS there a device that will do what I need/ want?

I want to convert the analog signal to ip and use ip viewing recording software rather than a DVR. The reason is fairly long and complex but the bottom line is there is an analog camera (actually a few) that would be perfect for the application but this client only needs one camera at a remote location so IP is perfect solution as far as viewing / recording and data management. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use a ACTi encoder(example: SED-2120) and use their free 16-ch recording software to record the camera to a PC.

www.acti.com

there are a hundred other companies you can do this as well, but ACTi has that free software which is nice.

if you are installing new DON't convert as it is a waste of $$$ Go with a mega IP like the Axis 207MW. You'll impress your client with the quality. It's also wireless so you can install in a snap!

Recording software is available from just about everyone now. Just make sure you test it before you install it as the differences/quality vary. I prefer a DVR like Avermedia the has IP (Hybrid) capabilities. The 1704Hybrid is affordable, small, and works great.