c0rnhead

'Server Closed' After Connecting Remotely Using Multiview

We have multiple sites running GV-1120, sv 8.1 and could connect to all sites using DMMultiview and then adding each site as a host in the edit host list to toggle back and forth between sites.

This was working fine for a few months and now ONE site allows us to log in, but then 7 of the 8 cameras (all except camera 1) drop off and say 'server closed'. They will connect back up intermittently, then drop off to server closed again. This occurs from any machine you connect from - inside the network (using local IP), or outside using public IP or dipmap DDNS client.

We have pretty much proven that this is not a DVR-specific problem - by first uninstalling, then reinstalling the 8.1 software (no dice), then swapping in a new machine we built with same specs to this location - and exactly the same thing occurs.

All of the sites have Sonic Walls (damn this machine!) and are maintained by a contract networking firm who CLAIM that their network setups in each location are identical. Again, we can connect - so this shows at LEAST the port forwarding has been done correctly - but this previously functional site now exhibits this strange disconnect.

The only time we've seen this server closed issue before was an issue with different versions of Geo software being connected together using edit host list in dmmultiview, but we solved it by just deleting the different "V8xx, V7xx, V6xx" folders in Program Files and reconnecting. Also, in this scenerio you never got video - it would go straight to server closed after connecting.

ANY clues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

c0rnhead

Cornhead did we talk before?

Did they try changing the ports on the DVR, from the default ones?

Can they take it off the firewall for a test, put it direct into the Cable/DSL modem?

Rory

actually I think you might have spoken with one of my techs.

we just swapped it out today and havent gotten the original machine back yet (actually we probably have it, but I left before our field guy brought it back)

the fact that they could connect fine for months and now cant leads me to believe they have done something on their network that they arent telling us (or don't know themselves)

Our field guy who picked up the machine today changed the 4550, 5550 and 6550 up 5 to 4555, 5555, and 6555 on the loaner machine, but their contract network guys havent changed forwarding rules as yet so we can check.

...but i am suspect of this as a solution simply because it used to work fine and now wont.

PS.... I left out one thing we found - once connected, even if the cameras are showing server closed, if you full screen the multiview - VOILA! you can see all cameras. If you escape back to regular view, they immediately start doing it again...

Yeah I tested it from my end, was dealing with TJ, they would do full screen, but eventually they still disconnected. I was getting everything from Server Close to Invalid Version to ChangeCamError and also simply Disconnect, and I was at some times getting it from camera 1 also. I was looking at all the events from the DVRs webcam server, using my software.

Still not sure what Geo does in their Full screen mode, something on the webcam server side though. If I pause the video for example on all but 1 camera, it will keep the other running fine, and full speed, but then resuming video is kind of slow, so not sure they are doing that. Might just be they set some massive drop in quality on their webcam server code which then sets it back to normal when it exits full screen.

Anyway ... check back after they port forward the new ports. Its more than likely just something to do with the network anyway.

Really strange though as out of all the DVRs Ive tested around the globe (in testing my software) with all kinds of messed up connections, Ive never seen anything do what that one did before, it was driving my software crazy at first, even crashed it at one point, but then I changed some things and worked well after that, well would still drop all the video, but would bring it back in when it could, without critical errors. It would drop the video so fast that video would be disconnected but you would not even get a disconnected response from the server .. for a few seconds anyway.

Anyhow, let us know.

Rory

These are what I was getting from that server:

Change camera error - when it is trying to reconnect it is probably disconnected and just cant switch to that camera, as the errors are happening so fast.

Disconnected - The network disconnected. This also comes after Server Close. However you were getting this on its own as well. Probably too many other events coming in from the webcam server or local client.

Invalid Version - Incompatible version. But this makes no sense, however I saw it only happen occasionally, more than likely just a webcam bug when it disconnects too fast while it is trying to connect. Once again, probably too many other events coming in from the webcam server or local client.

Server Close - Server closed the connection. This one is pretty straight forward.

will do, man... and thanks!

I've seen and connected to thousands of Geo machines, using multiview, rpb, CV2 and Control Center - on any number of network types, and I've never seen this before.