able1

Condensation on Mini Dome

Hello all,

I recently installed 3 Everfocus EHD525/EX-1 exterior small domes. We have had a frosting in temp as fall weather has finally arrived. Noticed yesterday morning while on site that there is some condensation on the inside of each of the domes.

The cameras are mounted under the sofit of the roof. I have conduit running from the cameras up into the unheated attic area.

I have silica packets installed in the camera housing as supplied with the camera and suggested by the manufacturer.

My first guess would be to hermetically seal the conduit. But I am not sure how practical that would be since there may always be a leak some where.

These cameras do have heaters built in so I would think that they are warm and the outside air is colder and condensation is forming. My first thought would have been that it would have formed on the outside of the dome and not the inside.

Anyone have any thoughts as to a quick solution??

Thanks in advance.

Les

You will need to seal the camera, we have had many occurrences with just an opening to the interior climate of the camera and any opening to a different climate causing moisture in domes and bullet cameras. Added extra silica gel pacs and sealed the camera, cured the problem.

You will need to seal the camera, we have had many occurrences with just an opening to the interior climate of the camera and any opening to a different climate causing moisture in domes and bullet cameras. Added extra silica gel pacs and sealed the camera, cured the problem.

Thanks for the input. That seems to be the plan. Even though it will cure the problem I am still curious as to why it condensed to the "inside" of the dome. May require the Mythbusters to explain the phenomenon.

Again Thanks for the response.

Les

it's a temp difference between the inside and outside. I sometime put those dry packs in to keep things dry.......sealing might help but humidity/moisture is the real problem. Here in the south we operate at 100% most the time so sealing them only seals in the moisture.....dry packs dry it up after you seal them right.

it's a temp difference between the inside and outside. I sometime put those dry packs in to keep things dry.......sealing might help but humidity/moisture is the real problem. Here in the south we operate at 100% most the time so sealing them only seals in the moisture.....dry packs dry it up after you seal them right.

Just courious, what is/are all using to seal the conduit??? Anything special??

421287443_0092904487_m.jpg

This works well....they have a Window & Door version of this polyurethane insulating foam sealant which is more flexible and doesn't expand as much. As well as sealing conduit (just a bit), it's great for keeping insects out!

Another alternative would be to use some cut-up polyethylene packaging foam stuffed into the conduit.

Just courious, what is/are all using to seal the conduit??? Anything special??

Ive always used caulking.

I use the coax seal tape because it remains soft. other sealers harden and make it miserable to open. yes, coax can be sticky but it is managable. I'll apply a thin layer to the seal area and then seal it.works great and opens easier than if caulked, foamed, ect.

I use the coax seal tape because it remains soft.

IMHO

Great Stuff.................. Very messy for a small area that may need to be opened in the future.

Caulk....................... May dry to hard unless you are talking about silicone type bathroom caulk.

Coax Seal Tape......... What is coax seal tape?? Is that a brand name or a byproduct??

I was considering what I call DumDum. It is a soft pliable grey gloop. Always stays soft, fills where you put it and will come out when you want. DumDum is not the name on the shelf. I am not sure exactly what it is call officially. I think it is in the plumbing aisle. If anyone knows what I am talking about is there any detrimental effect in using the stuff??

TIA

Plumbers putty, have always used exterior silicon caulk to do ours, depends a lot on what area you are applying it to. Usually apply around the base and around the wire and cable to seal that area from a difference in climate, and yes the dessicant pacs are to dry the inside of the camera after it is sealed. The dome usually has a good seal and does not need any extra.

Caulk....................... May dry to hard unless you are talking about silicone type bathroom caulk.

Ofcourse, silicone, its basically rubber, the best and only thing I ever use. holds up through hurricanes, so good enough for me.

BTW I have not seen one really weatherproof vandal dome yet, let alone a mini dome. You'd best seal that baby right up if you want it to last.

The stuff I was referring to could not be found in the bottom of my van. It is there..... just can be located. So I stopped at HD today and picked up some more. I found it in the electrical dept. It is labeled "Duct Seal" and is a 1" x 2" x 7" bar of grey "DumDum". Sealed up the cameras and all should be good.

Thanks for all the good info.

Have a good rest of the week all.

Keep us updated on how they work for you, and have a good one!

As per your request here is the latest.

Well the problem persist. Had some high humidity with rain and all uglies. Domes had lots of condensation at the bottom. Not sure where or how it is getting inside.

I decided to try a different process.

1) Removed electrical sealant (aka dum dum) from conduit entrance to dome.

2) Used hair dryer to warm and (try to) dry out enclosure.

3) Used hair dryer on desiccant pack to drive out moisture (if any)

[Did not at the time have any replacements]

4) Resealed conduit opening with GE Clear Silicon as well as other possible areas.

5) Used hair dryer on desiccant pack, enclosure and dome during close up and seal process.

6) Tighten all screws (very tight again)

7) Ordered a supply of dessicant pack for future. They change color from blue (dry) to pink (wet) so it can be seen when they are ready to be changed.

It has been a bit over a week and all seems ok.

Hope you all have a good week.

Les

able1,

What's the status of your moisture problem?

See my previous post on the 26th of Nov.

All still seems ok.

Les

Able1, how is the condensation problem, did it stay good after that?

Hi Rory,

Thanks for checking.

All has been very good with the cameras. And there has been a lot of opportunities for the cursed condensation to appear.

So I have to say that life is good.

Later,

Les

Good to hear that yours are staying dry, now if we can fix Rory's bullets.

Sometimes a bigger hammer will help.