Sign in to follow this  
violator

need advice with video camera system

Thanks for the advice in the past. As previously posted, we were looking for a remote webcam viewer for our pre-school, that would enable parents to logon to their child's classroom.

We have a 12 port GV-800 card installed in our school now. As of this time, parents do not have [web] access. We need to design a system that we are comfortable with prior to providing access. We have a specific need of logging viewers out of our web view to conserve bandwidth for other viewers. We don't want bandwidth hogs.

Whats the best way to prevent this? I was thinking a timeout feature would be best. Either time based (i.e. auto timeouts after 10 mins), or inactivity based (i.e. no presence of mouse or keyboard strokes), or a combination of the two (i.e. logs out after 10 minutes, or if it detects no activity for 5 minutes).

There are 3 areas that I think we can try to target this:

1) Router side

2) Webcam Server side

3) Website host side (there will be a link on our school website that parents will click to access their child's classroom view - but we outsource the hosting of the school website)

I am personally comfortable (based upon my skillset and knowledge) with option 3. It would require software coding. I can create a page on the schools website that opens up a frame opening the ip address of the Geovision webcams, and code this page to timeout. So the page itself will redirect parents to the login screen again after the timeout parameters are met, forcing the parents to reconnect.

This of course, is easily defeated by simply viewing the webcam ip or direct link, and opening it up directly instead of going through the website.

Any other ideas? I really need to finalize this thing within 1 week!

Thanks