Geovision & IP Cameras

So the word from my supplier is Geo will be introducing NV software for IP & Megapixel IP cameras. This software will be able to be run alone or in conjunction with the GV cards. So, if you have a GV800-16, you can purchase a licence for 4, 8, or 16 IP cameras and then add that on top of the existing 16 cameras for a total of 20 to 32.

Is this expensive? In my opinion, Yes, I heard an extra $1k for another 16 IP cams. What's also interesting is, if you buy Geovision brand Megapixel IP Cameras, the licence is about 1/3 the price, but you still have to buy it.

WHY does GEO have to try to charge for EVERY little thing? Avermedia supports way more cams, and it is already included free! Geo has a lot of competition out there, and over charging for everything is getting a bit tiring.

On a side note, I tried to order an Axis 207 MWP and they told me it's been discontinued. Anyone else heard this?

Geovision is a software company, Avermedia is a hardware company who also provides software. So with Geo, as with MS, everything is going to be about the software licensing. And like MS, Geo knows (or thinks) they have the market share, for now at least.

They may only be a software company, but they still sell hardware and lots of it at the highest prices around. I really like Geo products, don't get me wrong, and I have installed hundreds of their systems, it would just be nice if they didn't have to charge for everything. With Megapixel IP cams, software is no longer responsible for video quality since the compression is done at the camera so to me, that makes many other manufacturers more appealing, since that is one thing I've liked about Geo.

Time will tell, but I think more loyalty to their existing resellers (ie. ability to add megapixel IP cams, upgrades, etc..) would be a good thing.

I believe the software would still do compression, as the user may not have admin control over the camera to change it, but still want to view or record it and have slower connections than the camera/servers compression can handle, so hopefully they still enable software compression as an option for those.

Hopefully it wont cost $1000 either, however if you take Milestone for example, their prices arent cheap, ends up around $3000+ for 16 cameras .. Id like to take a look at Nuuo sometime though .. for megapixel stuff.

I doubt the Geo IP thing would really be geared towards IP Video only apps though, but moreso add ons to existing systems. Their CMS should definitely be included freely though, that kind of thing is common with other DVRs now.

They also should drop the prices on their cards IMO, at least some of them.

Planned Features for Version 8.2

New features to Main System:

General Features

- Defog function (USB Dongle required)

- Panorama view (USB Dongle required)

- Video stabilizer for vibrating cameras (USB Dongle required)

- Picture in Picture (PiP); Picture and Picture (P&P) viewing

- Support megapixel cameras (USB Dongle required)

- Automatically produce MDB reports

- Support GV-Joystick

- Support GV-NVR (USB Dongle required)

Anyone have a USB switch?

Anyone know the dongle company I may want to buy stocks hehe?

LOL

JD

I wondered the same, as .MDB are MS Access (Database) files.

Yes it is database reports.

JD

Why must the now charge for every new feature? I guess they are trying hard to make as much money off S/W alone since their Hw card sales will eventually drop off but introducing new features and then making every existing customer have to pay for it is a joke. It wouldn't be so bad if their cards were in expensive but they are in fact some of the most expensive.

I don't think geo reads this board but I personally don't like all of the xtra charges they are adding on and all of the stupid USB keys that will be necessary.

Unhappy customers have more choices then ever, ie Avermedia who doesn't charge extra for any of there extra features.

Yeah I noticed that too .. the average customer, at least down here, is not going to pay an extra few hundred $$ on top of everything else, they want it as cheap as possible .. as it is Geo should lower their pricing on the cards, at least balance it out somewhere.

Yeah I noticed that too .. the average customer, at least down here, is not going to pay an extra few hundred $$ on top of everything else, they want it as cheap as possible .. as it is Geo should lower their pricing on the cards, at least balance it out somewhere.

I agree with you RORY, Geovision havent had any price reduction on many years, only a recent adjustment due exchange rates.

Geovision is following an old market/economy strategy and we will not see any reduction on the price before Geovision is selling less and/or loosing market shares or that they belive they do. What is strange is that normally the price would have been adjusted due to competition, but Geovision was also introduced to the Taipei Stock Exchange a few years back so I guess they want the bottom line to be high as possible now in the first years to build confidence in the stock as well as the old owners want to cash in some money by selling smaller parts of their portefolio. Another reason could be that Geovision is using a lot of money on product research, but since many of the hardware parts are OEM then that seems strange as well. Another reason could be they try to build up enough capital to invest or buy in their own production facillity, they loose money on pirated goods so to have more control with manufacturing link.

Anyway, if I was Geovision I would have started to take away some of the card models: GV250, GV600, GV650, GV750, GV800, here I think both the GV600 and GV750 is not a must taking away these would take away 8 different models, then sell GV650 instead or GV800. Fewer models and same or almost same sale is lower production costs and so on.

Finally: IF THEY REALLY WANT TO KILL PIRACY/CLONED CARDS - AND SINCE THEY SEEMS TO LOVE USB DONGLES - WHY NOT SHIP ORGINAL GEOVISION PRODUCTS WITH DONGLES?

There are a few companies in the world owning well known brand names that are putting both orginal products in the market as well as they also supply the "fake" once - they have strategy like: we will sell to high end consumers and we will sell our brand to low end consumers thru offering "fake" products since they know that others will do it if they are not!

MONEY TALKS!

Havent seen the 750 .. is that only available in Europe?

They should bring the 600 down to 250 prices, and name it the GV-300 ..

Get rid of the 15fps card all together.

Make the 650 the 600 ..

1120 the 800 ...

and just have the 1480 .. . and the 2004/8 cards

Interesting . .. but not offered in the US ..

Anyway already a huge selection of cards ..

I did notice they will be supporting various IP cameras and will do 1440x900 resolution, which is nice.

Dongle Type

There are two types of USB dongles available for the Hybrid and NVR solution.

• Type A Dongle: This is used for GeoVision IP devices.

• Type B Dongle: This is used for third-party IP devices, or a mix of both

GeoVision and third-party IP devices.

Hybrid Solution Description

1. Specifications of the Hybrid solution. The Hybrid solution supports the

maximum of 8 IP video sources with the limit of 16 channels in total, e.g. 8

analog videos + 8 IP videos = 16 channels.

If more than 8 IP videos are required, you may choose the GV-NVR solution with

support for up to 16 IP video channels.

2. Connection of GeoVision IP devices to GV-System. The Hybrid solution

accepts all IP videos from GV-IP Camera, GV-Video Server and GV-Standalone

DVR. There is no need to use a USB dongle.

3. Connection of third-party IP devices to GV-System. To implement the Hybrid

solution with third-party IP video devices, you need Type B Dongle from

GeoVision.

• The dongle options include: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 IP channel(s).

NVR Solution Description

1. GV-NVR is a complete software-based surveillance solution without using a

video capture card. Video inputs to the GV-NVR must be IP video sources. Up to

16 IP video channels are supported.

2. Connection of Geovision IP devices to GV-NVR. To implement the GV-NVR

solution with GeoVision IP video devices, you need Type A Dongle from

GeoVision.

• Dongle options include: 4, 8, 12, 16 IP channels.

3. Connection of third-party IP devices to GV-NVR. To implement the GV-NVR

solution with third-party IP video devices, you need Type B Dongle from

GeoVision.

• Dongle options include: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 IP channel(s).

Type B Dongle also accepts a mix use of both GeoVision and third-party IP

devices.

This seems like a jungle, 2 types of dongle (this just for IP) and then several channels of each type! Think this will be a marketing mightmare.

1.2 Advanced Video Analysis

In version 8.2, GeoVision introduced three new functions of advanced video analysis.

An appropriate USB dongle is required for the three functions to work:

• Panorama view

• Video Stabilizer

• Defog function

Note if you already have a USB dongle for IP Video, you may upgrade the USB

dongle to include the above new functions.

JD

Surely they could have just done something on the card, that would make more sense than adding all kinds of dongles .. I mean the card is already a hardware device right there, if they think people will crack the security with the card, well they are doing the same with dongles for a while now.

Nightmare is correct .. the software looks great but. .. . .

When it comes to IP solutions I think people will shy away and use other manufacturers/software for those.

However that said, many of the IP software apps charge per channel also, and alot.