Sign in to follow this  
UMDRanger

Piggyback RS422 with Geovision?

I am in the middle of upgrading 1/2 my CCTV system at work. I say 1/2 because some of them are just too old to upgrade.

I have a Sensorvision controlling RA485 American Dynamics Speeddomes via RS-422.

I just got a VM32 with touch tracker to control the Speeddomes and a Speed Dome Ultra via Sensornet. (only 1/2 my Speeddomes have the unicard capable of Sensornet).

I have a Gv-net card to output Sensornet. I assume I can piggy back that on the EIM with the touchtracker output and the two outputs going to J-boxes and domes.

I have a RS-232 --> RS-422 adapter (from a Dedicated Micros DS2). Would I be able to use this with Geovision as well, and tie this into the data lines from the Sensorvision controller?

No, you will not be able to do that. Sensornet can be star connected or daisy-chained but, you cannot combine 2 Sensornet data code lines.

Also, GV probably does not output Sensornet (proprietary, tri-stating RS485 prtocol). Most likely it's outputting Sensormatic RS422. Only thing you can do is convert the Sensornet to RS422 with the RCSN422 and then take both RS422 outputs (1 form GV , 1 from VM32) and combine them somehow!!!! I'd imagine there's something out there that can combine 2 RS422 signals! Maybe Blackbox or B&B Electronics or Sennetech has something? Not sure! System setup is:

VM32 --> RCSN422 --> RS422 combiner -->

GV --> RS422 out --> RS422 combiner -->

Output of combiner goes to J-Boxes and/or SpeedDomes!