jakazz

geovision card 1480 not detected by windows

i built a new system as follows.

-Intel Pentium? 4 631 Processor Cedarmill 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB Cache

-ASUS P5GC-VM Intel Core 2 Duo (Desktop) Socket 775 1066MHz PC2-5400 (DDR2-667) mATX Motherboard

-Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400 Xtreme Performance Memory

-Windows XP-Media Center Edition

-GV-1480 DVI type

-----------so when i plugged the GV card in, and boot up, WinXP does not detect the card.

when i open the PC case, I can see that the "PW LED" is lit opn the GV card..but the "FP LED" is not.

I don't know what the FP stands for to be honest. I;m a newbie at CCTV, but I know computers pretty well...am i doing something stupid? did i forget something?

ALso, there is a jumper on the GV card, do i need to do anything with that?

Is my card defective?

oh...i forgot to mention...i also installed the drivers from the Geovision CD...still nothing...

And nothing showing in the Device Manager.

oh...i forgot to mention...i also installed the drivers from the Geovision CD...still nothing...

And nothing showing in the Device Manager.

Can you see it in BIOS?

But probably a dead card!

So return to sender.

JD

where in the BIOS would I see it?

would it be dead eventhough the PW LED is lit on the card?

Yes it can be dead even if the led is on.

You can try to put the card into a different PCI slot if any and then see if it is detected.

JD

Yes try a different PCI slot.

Also, Join, do you know if Media Center might have issues with the cards or not? I know it is very similar if not just about the same, but it did seem to be slightly different when I did some work on one before, had additional services and may also have some others disabled or missing.

Maybe hardware detection is disabled, perhaps do a manual scan for new hardware just in case.

Yes try a different PCI slot.

Also, Join, do you know if Media Center might have issues with the cards or not? I know it is very similar if not just about the same, but it did seem to be slightly different when I did some work on one before, had additional services and may also have some others disabled or missing.

Maybe hardware detection is disabled, perhaps do a manual scan for new hardware just in case.

Hi, well I have done a few Media center installs for a client that had a few media center PC 's standing in storage, using 1120/X cards and it seems to work, but offcourse I didnt like the feeling they gave me.

In fact from 1.Jan 2008, I will change the business model to only sell and support systems that we have built, I got afraid after touching the GV-2008/2004 cards - I got scared for what the future will bring.

And there it will be XP PRO for as long as possible, but offcourse you can run Vista as XP as well so guess that January brings testing of Vista as well.

JD

1) I sent it back, and the company called, and left me a message saying it works fine by them...

Should I trust them?

2) Secondly, no one told me where to look in the BIOS for the card. Can someone help me out there?

3) I had also tried the card on a different PC (but it was not a compatible chipset), it also did not detect.

My understanding is that the chipset compatibility is because of tmimng issues, and such, so should any computer at least detect it???

Can someone please answer my 3 questions...Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

1) I sent it back, and the company called, and left me a message saying it works fine by them...

Should I trust them?

2) Secondly, no one told me where to look in the BIOS for the card. Can someone help me out there?

3) I had also tried the card on a different PC (but it was not a compatible chipset), it also did not detect.

My understanding is that the chipset compatibility is because of tmimng issues, and such, so should any computer at least detect it???

Can someone please answer my 3 questions...Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.

1. I dont know! But they may be right if they are selling GV-cards they probably know more then you!

2. In BIOS you have a list of devices that are currently installed and then you can see them there or not.

3. If you use newer Intel chipset you should be ok!

JD

try to install the card on another pc .... if it's not the card then it's gotta be your pc that's having issue detecting the card, as geo tech says most of the time it's a compatibility issue =p

try to install the card on another pc .... if it's not the card then it's gotta be your pc that's having issue detecting the card, as geo tech says most of the time it's a compatibility issue =p

I ave used that Motherboard with different GV-Cards, also Gv-1480, so it should be working, could it be your MB, I have had issues long time ago on a motherboard that it was somehting wrong with some of the PCI slots but not all.

Also you should really test it in another PC to be certain, if it dosent work in 2 different Intel Chipset Motherboards then I guess the GV-card is DOA!

JD

Well, i bought it from worldeyecam... their tech support VPN'd into my system, and they couldn't get it to detect either...

so i sent it to them, they call me and says it work fine. So, i was frustrated at first, and told them to send back... i plug it in, and voila...it f$%#$ works...go figure.

Dont know what they did to it, but workin now.

THX all