bucklock

Building PC for Geovision GV900-16

I live in the Tulsa, OK. area. Have not had much luck yet finding a place to buy Geovision card locally. Will probably have to do it over the internet. Still trying to find the cameras to use also. It will be in a convenient store. No cameras near the pumps. Will be using 9 cameras. Can anyone see any problems with this PC I plan to build?

Pentiun 4 2.8 gig 800 Mhz front speed bus

Intel systemboard D865gblfk

1- 40 gig HDD

1- 250 gig HDD

Sony DVD-RW

GeForce video card with 128 Meg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

DVR_Expert_Australia,

512 Meg DDR Ram 400 Mhz

A case that supports multiple fans

Also, is there really a need for DVD /RW? I know you need one or the other, DVD/RW or CD/RW. The Sony DVD/RW costs me $100.00 and the Sony CD/RW costs $35.00.

Thanks for the reply and I would be interested in buying the card from you. I am not sure what cameras to use yet. Maybe you might have the cameras I could use also. Thanks again.

Dan

DVR_Expert_Australia,

Australia is the one country I have always wanted to go to since I was a kid. I do not know if I will ever make it there, but I hope so. I only know one person from Australia. His name is Brooke Tatnell. He races cars and he is good at it. He has to be a little nuts though to drive them dirt track cars that are sideways more than they are straight.

Dan

Still trying to decide on how to build computer. I am starting to think about SATA Raid. I am looking at two system boards, one from Intel and one from Asus.

Intel system board D865GBFLK

Asus system baord P4P800SE with the 865PE chipset

Both support SATA Raid. I will probably go with the Intel board unless people tell me different.

Do I even need Raid with a GV-900 with 9 cameras running. Would I be okay with a 40 gig hard drive for the operating system and a 250 gig drive for geo? If I use Raid, I have room for expansion if ever needed. I am even thinking of a Gig of Ram. The SATA drives are more expensive. I could just start out with the 250 gig hard drive and 512 of RAM and see how it works. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Dan

Intel boards are great, but do tend to be more fussy than any other board, never tried one on a 900 system but can not see it as being a problem, I am a big fan of ASUS boards,...hey any board that talks to you and can play music from the BIOS gets my vote.

If you use raid, you ar doing to loose some space on the drive, depending on which raid you use of course, I am a big fan of Raid arrays, but I really doubt you are going to need it, seriously just do what you planned with one small drive and one large one, Sata is a good idea, faster transfer and less air blockage, you really do not need 1GIG ram unless you lan to have say 20 or so people connecting to your box at the same time, really 512 of good quality fast spec Corsair should suffice, but being a 900 machine I would be tempted as well, so not a real drama if you do.

DVR_Expert_Australia

Thanks again for your advice. I seen one of your posts about how to learn this stuff. I know how to wire houses for all networking and phone systems and all that. I never wanted to get into security, alarms and such. I have the A+ and I am also Citrix Network Administrator certified. It does not do you much good when all the big companys that use Citrix goes out of business. Tulsa is in a big hurt right now. I used to just do networking for big companys, but all the big ones bit the dust. I do not take much into being Microsoft Certified. Here you have a bunch that do not know anything. They get certified, but still do not know what they are doing. I used to be a System Admin. for HEB Grocery in Texas. All of our mission critical stuff ran off Unix. I also had to admin for the Windows Servers that was running Citrix. We had Windows/Citrix Servers and Sun Solaris Servers in each store. I love Unix and Linux, but we all have to live in a Microsoft world. HEB could afford not too. I could still move back to Texas, but I really do not want to. HEB was good to me and I learned so much there it is unreal.

Sorry I rambled on, but thanks. I think I will like this business. I just need to find who all I can trust. Plus, I will keep reading.

Dan

Eh, Open Office, save as HTML and then rename it .doc....translates almost perfectly every time for me.

Thomas,

I looked at your Website. It looks good. I will check more into your stuff. One thing though, I do not like Dell computers. I could go on forever about them, but I will not. I like their laptops, but do not like their PC's. Kind of like how I hate the traffic in Houston. Those illegal street racing things are kind of neat in Houston, as long as nobody gets hurt. It is kind of like going to a car show in some business district in the late night.

Dan

The major problems with Dell come in thier consumer grade stuff. The Dimensions do tend to have the lowest grade parts, but the major problem is how they do windows. They load everything and the kitchen sink on it and load all of it at start up. Maxing out the resources with flaky software is a recipe for disaster. The Dell server class stuff is generally more reliable since the mobo's they are using are clones of the intel referance boards. They also come without windows. We load windows in our office, and our software. The only things we install is our software, the hardware drivers and an OEM copy of windows. No extra crap. But nothing requires you to use our cards and software in a Dell.