Help required with the POS function of the netvision dvr.

Our integrators have seemed to grasp the concept of TCP/IP POS quite well ---- but they are all battling to get this to work via serial.

Has anybody achieved multiple POS integration using serial coms on the netvision DVR? What problems where experienced and how where they resolved?

Thanks

Hi there,

For Multi-POS integration with TCP/IP, you have to work with the NC-Series devices to convert through COM(COM port data from POS machine) to network(a RJ45 port to connect to the HUB/Router to transffer data), here I make a pic to show how to set the multi-POS system.

By the way, right now, Multi-POS Playback at the same time is supported, up to 4 channels at the same time.

Thanks and you can PM me if you have any problems.

Hi William, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Our guys have no problem with the TCP/IP functionality - the problem is when they don't want to use the TCP/IP feature, and they want to use RS232 in the case of a single pos, or RS232 to RS485 for multiple serial pos connected to the DVR's Serial ports.

Following the manual and cable configurations exactly has not yet achieved success for any of them?

Hi there,

To work with Multi-POS systems in one DVR Server software, you have to use the NC-Series devices, also have to use the TCP / IP connection mode, but never COM / RS232 connection. Because the software can only use 1 COM / RS232 port to commucate with the POS machine, can not recognize any more COM / RS232 ports at the same time.

Thanks.

Hi there,

To work with Multi-POS systems in one DVR Server software, you have to use the NC-Series devices, also have to use the TCP / IP connection mode, but never COM / RS232 connection. Because the software can only use 1 COM / RS232 port to commucate with the POS machine, can not recognize any more COM / RS232 ports at the same time.

Thanks.

Hi William,

At last --- i tend to believe what you are saying --- although it is very different to what numerous people at your offices have said.

Thanks --- just confirm that for me please! You cannot connect ,multiple serial POS systems via RS485/RS232 to the serial ports of the DVR, you must always use the TCP/IP connection method.

I know that RS232 is essentially a one device communication protocol. Some of our guys have used RS232/RS485 converters and got the system as far as displaying the POS data ---- but rebooting the DVR every time they press enter on the POS.

My other brand of standalone dvr from Taiwan makes use of a serial gateway that handles 4 POS at once up to a maximum of 16 ,on a single port via RS232/RS485 conversion. I am a little cautious of synchronization issues in that setup though as the dvr polls each port sequentially.

Hi there,

Thanks.

Hi William,

At last --- i tend to believe what you are saying --- although it is very different to what numerous people at your offices have said.

Thanks --- just confirm that for me please! You cannot connect ,multiple serial POS systems via RS485/RS232 to the serial ports of the DVR, you must always use the TCP/IP connection method.

I know that RS232 is essentially a one device communication protocol. Some of our guys have used RS232/RS485 converters and got the system as far as displaying the POS data ---- but rebooting the DVR every time they press enter on the POS.

My other brand of standalone dvr from Taiwan makes use of a serial gateway that handles 4 POS at once up to a maximum of 16 ,on a single port via RS232/RS485 conversion. I am a little cautious of synchronization issues in that setup though as the dvr polls each port sequentially.

Hi Brandon,

Sorry for the mistake I made, it is suggest to use a NC-Series device to convert the COM(RS232) to TCP / IP due to the distance between the POS machine and the DVR Server. You know COM(RS232) can only transffer 1 meter or less, this would be difficult to make up the system.

You can use more than 1 COM port at the same time to connect to the DVR Server software, but there are less COM ports or no COM ports on the motherboard, this is the tendency, so if possible, please refer to NC-Series devices to convert.

Thank you!

Hi there,

Thanks.

Hi William,

Hi Brandon,

Sorry for the mistake I made, it is suggest to use a NC-Series device to convert the COM(RS232) to TCP / IP due to the distance between the POS machine and the DVR Server. You know COM(RS232) can only transffer 1 meter or less, this would be difficult to make up the system.

You can use more than 1 COM port at the same time to connect to the DVR Server software, but there are less COM ports or no COM ports on the motherboard, this is the tendency, so if possible, please refer to NC-Series devices to convert.

Thank you!

William - why do you say RS232 is limited to 1m? What cable do you have in mind? I have seen cable rated for 50ft or just over 15m?

So we can use com if we have enough ports?

What about RS485?

Hi Brandon,

For the effective distance for RS232 protocol cable problem, maybe different material have different effect, sorry if I made the mistake.

You can use multi-POS if you have enough COM ports, but I have to say, right now less and less new motherboards have COM ports with them, I don't understand why you want to use COM connection but never TCP / IP even TCP / IP has advantage in making up the system, and more easily to transmit data.

Guys who didn't make this to work correctly would because the COM ports connection were not established, due to the cable/ or the COM port is used by other program/ or the COM port refused the visit from the DVR Server software.

Please check!

William,

Do you have anecdotal evidence of anybody that has managed to get your software to work with just one POS device on a serial connection?

We have major POS houses here with their own software engineers - to whom we sell the software . They all use TCP/IP and have interfaced with their in-house developed POS software systems that they have developed.

Strangely the only two customers who needed to go RS232 have failed to get it working even with a single POS device.

William,

Do you have anecdotal evidence of anybody that has managed to get your software to work with just one POS device on a serial connection?

We have major POS houses here with their own software engineers - to whom we sell the software . They all use TCP/IP and have interfaced with their in-house developed POS software systems that they have developed.

Strangely the only two customers who needed to go RS232 have failed to get it working even with a single POS device.

I have a few setups with POS --> RS-232 --> NetDVR working!

JD