geothermalcat

what power cable to use?

howdy, ive got a samsung SCC-131AP and im unsure what power cable/fuse combo to use, or if someone could point me in the direction of somewhere to buy a specific cable that would be great.

If its a CCTV Camera then you would typically use 18AWG cable for Power, as to the power supply that would depend on the current draw and voltage of the camera, also if you have more than one camera you might want to use a distributed power supply instead of a single transformer.

PS. funny avatar

could you point me in the direction of somewhere that i could buy one of those cables from, ive just used a standard 2core copper cable on a 3amp fuse, needless to say that it blew up lol.

According to spec sheet that camera uses either 24vac 40voltamp or 12vdc 500ma power supplies.

RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLIES

TRAN-24-40LED, 24VAC, 40VA, class II plug in transformer

GV-M2448UL, 24VAC, 4 AMP, 8 fused outputs

GV-M24816UL, 24VAC, 8 AMP, 16 fused outputs

TRAN-12-500DC, 12VDC, 500 MA, plug in transformer

GV-M1234, 12VDC, 3Amp, 4 fused outputs, Do a web search or check with some of the suppliers on the forum, with these power supplies you will still need to run wire to the camera depending on distance.

Forget the "wall wart" type of power source for CCTV. Find a powered enclosure, designed as a power supply, either in 24vac or 12vdc, that has each output fused. I usually build my own from parts that I have on-hand, as I know what type/quality of materials that I like to install. Use an enclosure such as Altronix, etc. that is top quality, and UL Listed. I always use Plenum-Rated cable for my camera power runs, normally Belden 16/2 or 18/2. I can buy the 16/2 for not much more than the 18/2, so I have lots of that around.

one of these...?

1.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ALTRONIX-6VDC-12VDC-24VDC-POWER-SUPPLY-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ190192092062QQihZ009QQcategoryZ88758QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122#ebayphotohosting

or

2.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24VAC-6out-Bar-Light-Transformer_W0QQitemZ170165558807QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67141QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The 2nd one is just a transformer. I didn't even see a name brand on that, so not sure of its' origin. The first one is just a charger to keep a battery inside an alarm panel charged up, probably for battery backup. You need a ready-made enclosure that has either a 24vac transformer, or a 12vdc power supply, with fuses on the outputs. You would then connect your camera wiring to a "neutral" and "hot" ( in the case of AC) or a "positive" and "negative" (in the case of DC). I see you are in Europe, so your systems are a little different. Probably 220 VAC 50 Hertz is your standard incoming residential power? Not sure of European CCTV suppliers, might have to ask others on this forum.

this is confusin as hell, is there anyone from the UK who knows where to buy one of these power supplys from directly? id rather have the plug in version rather than a dedicated transformer. (if that makes sense)

cheers once again guys.