radman

Best Way To Set Up A Zoom Lens??

Hi all I got the Chinese Dome PTZ board talking to the Geovision software ok but what is the correct way to set up a zoom lens with a Panasonic WV-CP484E, I can get the lens to focus ok but I have to set up the ABF manualy is this correct? if I go auto ABF there is no way I can focus the lens! is there a correct procedure? Thanks, John.

It is quite late with me and I've just logged in between the pub and bed so I may be off with this one...but

Are you looking for a procedure on how to set back focus on a camera fitted with a zoom lens? If so try this

Set the lens focus to infinity and fully open the iris by covering the lens with a suitable neutral density (ND) filter. Zoom out to the widest field of vision and view a distant object. Adjust the back focus until the object is in focus. Next,

zoom fully in and adjust the lenses focus until the object is again focused.

Repeat these steps until the full zoom range may be viewed with the minimum loss of focus.

The last sentence seems a bit vague but then I'm slightly drunk!

It is quite late with me and I've just logged in between the pub and bed so I may be off with this one...but

Are you looking for a procedure on how to set back focus on a camera fitted with a zoom lens? If so try this

Set the lens focus to infinity and fully open the iris by covering the lens with a suitable neutral density (ND) filter. Zoom out to the widest field of vision and view a distant object. Adjust the back focus until the object is in focus. Next,

zoom fully in and adjust the lenses focus until the object is again focused.

Repeat these steps until the full zoom range may be viewed with the minimum loss of focus.

The last sentence seems a bit vague but then I'm slightly drunk!

Well Drunk or not I will give it a try thanks for the help, if in the sober light of day you can read your post and add anthing it will be appreciated John.

If you don't have a neutral density filter, a piece of # 5 welding glass will work. The key is to adjust the back focus with the iris fully open.

Hi welding glass I have so that is good to open the iris fully do I turn the level pot to high? thanks,

John.

thats really if it is to be used for day night apps or as you have, a Zoom lens. If you have none of those focus it under low light like in early evening (or in a room where you can control the lighting), whatever you do, never focus it in full sunlight. If it has IR then the BW mode must be focused in the pitch dark with the IR on. Ive never used either the ND filter nor welders glass and always was able get a great 24/7 focus.

Ofcourse your Chinese PTZ may be tricky.

I will try all methods to see what works best but do I need to turn the lens sens to max?

The Chinese PTZ board seems to work fine Rory I have a few spare switching functions! 4 relay and an Iris one must be able to do something with one of those?? Thanks, John.

If you have an auto-iris lens, you should not have to adjust any controls. Just use the welding glass and the iris will fully open automatically.